_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Pigment?
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC
Pigments, Pigments, Pigments

Basic Question, Pigments make an excellent dirty appearance when applied to a model...
I have found two brands of pigments,,
Mig and MMP
Has anyone used them and aside from the price, MMP being $3.50 per 1oz. bottle and Mig is something like $6.00 per 1oz.
Is there any major differences in quality?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:08 AM UTC
I have only used MMP's and have had no problems with them what so ever ...They can be used wet ,dry ,or even sprayed on...I'm sure Migs are just as good ...I also picked up some basic colors from my art supply store and they work well too..I guess you'll just have to try them and decide for yourself.

Rick
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 316 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pigments, Pigments, Pigments

Basic Question, Pigments make an excellent dirty appearance when applied to a model...
I have found two brands of pigments,,
Mig and MMP
Has anyone used them and aside from the price, MMP being $3.50 per 1oz. bottle and Mig is something like $6.00 per 1oz.
Is there any major differences in quality?

These are actually different products in that Mig pigments are just that, pure pigments. MMP are weathering powders. The diffence being that the latter have an acrylic binding agent that serve to help adherence both wet and dry. Each has their advantages: Mig has a finer particle size, while MMP powders may be a little more versatile out of the jar since you don't necessarily need to add a binder to create certain effects (build up, mainly). Mig sells an acrylic resin to acheive these effects. Both are excellent products. I have a couple jars of the Mig pigments, and most of the line of MMP. Admittedly, I use the MMP more but that may be as much because of my greater stock of colors as anything.

To clarify: When I said MMP don't need a binder, I didn't mean to imply that they can be built up dry. However, alcohol or even water can be used to do this (I recommend alcohol), while Mig requires something like their acrylic resin.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC
Where's a good place to get the MMP powders?

I know where I'd likely get the MIG pigments by mail order, but would like to research the MMP powders a bit more...It seems to me more people are using MIG than the MMP...
I don't know of any place close to Cincinnati I can check out one or the other in person, so it looks as if I'll have to mail order which ever I decide to go with....
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 316 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Where's a good place to get the MMP powders?

I know where I'd likely get the MIG pigments by mail order, but would like to research the MMP powders a bit more...It seems to me more people are using MIG than the MMP...
I don't know of any place close to Cincinnati I can check out one or the other in person, so it looks as if I'll have to mail order which ever I decide to go with....

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/hobbyshop.htm
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:47 AM UTC
I use Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders. Model railroaders have been using them for years. I got mine through Micro-Mark. They sell a smaller set with 5-6 colors too.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 03:04 AM UTC
I USE MIG POWEDERS,
I GET MINE FROM R& J ERNTERPRISE,
FOR 4 DOLLARS A BOTTLE
BUT THE DOC OBREINS,
ARE A REAL BARGEN FOR 17 BUCSK FOR THE WHOLE SET, THAT COMES OUT TO LIKE A 1.50 A BOTTLE. I WILL GET THEN NEXT
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
I have a question for you guys who use the MMP or Mig powders. Have you previously used sanded pastels? Are the pigments better? Could somebody explain what difference or how much better they are, please? I have seen Mig pigments, and can get them easily enough, but thought they were basically the same as pastels I sanded down, only more expensive. A lot of guys that I know have changed over to Mig powders, that used pastels previously. Im curious. Thanks a million! Cheers!
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders. Model railroaders have been using them for years. I got mine through Micro-Mark. They sell a smaller set with 5-6 colors too.

I just ordered the 12 color set of Doc O'Brien's from Micro Mark...only 17.50, so I figured I'll give those a try along with my regular pastels before I invest in the MIG or MMP...
 _GOTOTOP