History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
historic bastille day
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:23 AM UTC
some of you might be interested to know that a very significant historical event has just happened,

for the first time, british troops have led the bastille day parade in paris to celebrate 100 years since the entente cordiale, which declared an end to centuries of war and hostililty between britain and france.

the parade was led by the Grenadier guards, household cavalry and royal horse artillery. some of britains oldest and finest military units.

you may call me biased, but for me the british army presents the most spectacular parades of any army in the world. im sure it was great to watch if you were there!

cheers

joe
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
That's pretty interesting. Were the three regiments wearing their traditional uniforms, like the polished cuirasses (sp) and helmets on the Household Cavalry?

That crackling sound that was probably heard was Napoleon turning in his grave, to think that forces from the hated "nation of shopkeepers" would head a French parade.

A sure sign though of the 100 years of friendship.

fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
entire network: 447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Joe,
Today is the French National Holiday, it was on July 14th 1789, the people of Paris rose up and decided to march on the Bastille, a state prison that stood for the absolute despotism of the kingdom regime. This was a symbol of the end of the Bourbon's power, a new republic nation was just beginning...

Please look at :
http://www.hightowertrail.com/Bastil.htm

That was a great parade this morning in Paris with the british units !
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:54 AM UTC
rodger,

yes they were wearing full parade dress,

red coats and bearskins for the guards, polished helmets, swords and the like for the cavalry.

cheers

joe
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Yeah ! Royal Guard is very colorful !
I'd ever seen the "Color Trooping" in London, on The Mall at the Queen's Anniversary. Wonderful !

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC
hi francios,

im aware of the history of the bastille day, it is compulsary to study it in british schools.

i bet it has been a memorable day

joe
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:50 AM UTC
Allons enfants de la patrie
Le jour de gloire est arrive!

Fortunately, you can't here me singing that! :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

red coats and bearskins for the guards, polished helmets, swords and the like for the cavalry

That must have been a pretty site. It's my understanding, and I'm no expert, that the parade ground uniforms of these regiments, at least the Grenadier Guards and Household Cavalry, were inspired by Napoleonic, French, uniforms. I understand the bearskins were to honor the Guards for repelling the French Grenadiers at Waterloo, and the cuirasses were to represent the uniforms of the French cavalry. They might have even used captured cuirasses.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC
it was a beautiful parade !
For once it was under the sun, which was a great change from the bucketfull of rain they got 1 or 2 years ago.
The british units were a very colorful addition ! Several of the units there were present at Waterloo. It's great to see how much things have changed since then !
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:53 AM UTC
I'm surprised the French didn't have the German Army lead the parade since these two countries have become so cozy since OIF began.

Would have reminded many Parisians of 63 years ago when the "Little Corporal's" Army marched through that city in Triumph. As opposed to two years later when British and American Armies marched as liberators.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would have reminded many Parisians of 63 years ago when the "Little Corporal's" Army marched through that city in Triumph.

I understand your thoughts. But while he might have been "that paper hanging s.o.b., to quote GSP from the movie" hitler wasn't "the little corporal." THAT was Napoleon.

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm surprised the French didn't have the German Army lead the parade since these two countries have become so cozy since OIF began.

They did. Last year as a matter of fact. Kinda kills your jab, eh?
In 2002, USMA Cadets led the parade. Hate to break it to ya, not all French hate the US and vice-versa.

Yahoo news has some good photos of the parade, including the Queens Coy, Grenadier Guards, the Lifeguards and Blues and Royals, the Kings Tp, RHA and Red Arrows.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/wl/071404bastilleday&tmpl=sl&e=1

Vive La France! God Bless The Queen! God Bless America!
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joe,
Today is the French National Holiday, it was on July 14th 1789, the people of Paris rose up and decided to march on the Bastille, a state prison that stood for the absolute despotism of the kingdom regime. This was a symbol of the end of the Bourbon's power, a new republic nation was just beginning...

Please look at :
http://www.hightowertrail.com/Bastil.htm

That was a great parade this morning in Paris with the british units !

I agree. "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternitie" These words resounded all over the world and one way or the other, sparked nationalist sentiments in distant lands which were then colonies.

Some of our patriots studied in Europe and were greatly influenced by tghe ideals of the revolution which inspired them to pursue a similar venture back in the mother land.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 12:56 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

They did. Last year as a matter of fact. Kinda kills your jab, eh?
In 2002, USMA Cadets led the parade. Hate to break it to ya, not all French hate the US and vice-versa.

At least it's a relief to know the French do not dread the sight of Germans marching down Champs Elysee once more.

Please enlighten me, is it sort of a tradition that the French would invite its allies to take part in Bastille Day celebrations like this in a military parade?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:31 AM UTC
I believe that the French would invite their allies. We marched in the parade several times in the past. Nice celebration.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:41 PM UTC
Yes, each year, an allied country opens the march !
US, german, spanish, british troops have all done it ! I must say I'm very glad of it !
They open the march because they shouldn't walk behind the french commanding officer , who's not their commanding officer ! Also, it's a place of honnor !

Quite a few people who faught the german are still alive. For some of them it was a bit hard to accept seeing german troops again... but now nearly all people have accepted the fact that today's germany has nothing to do with what it was during WWII, and that it has to be a trusted ally.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC

I love a parade..its good to see allies.

I actually saw one of the keys, or THE key to the prison when I was at George Washington's plantation in Virginia--naturally it was a gift from the French people

Hmmm I wonder why Congress didn't rename that the "freedom key" or rename the Statue of Liberty the "statue of freedom"

Vive La France and three cheers for Britain!!!!

Sean