Silvered Decals
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 05:53 AM UTC
Okay,
I painted my SA-2 Guideline with flat white enamel. I let it cure for about four days and shot it with Future out of the trusty AB. I let that cure for a couple of days. Decaled. Decals silvered. Is there anything I can do with it now? There are no obvious bubbles, they are just silvered. I was planning on putting on another coat of Future before I weathered it. Will that help.
There are only about 900 decals on this thing and the launcher is looking really nice so I want to make every effort to salvage my "flying telephone pole."

Thanks in advance,

Shaun
PS, This is EXACTLY why I don't build things wit' wings...
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 06:41 AM UTC
What you can TRY is to take a needle ot the sharp point of a fresh #11 X-acto and make tiny holes in the carrier film. Apply a liberal coat of decal solvent and roll a Q-tip over it or press it down with some facial tissue when it softens. Let it dry thouroughly and apply a thin coat of water to check for more silvering. Repeat until you get as much out as possible. If you have only a few of the decals down, you can now lay on a thicker coat of Future, even with a brush if you have to wo get it glossy.
That's about it for a salvage job.
Good luck.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thanks Al. I have about 60 decals on this rascal. I tried the Super Sol and the decals weren't having any parts of it. I brushed on a couple of coats of Future and when it dries I'll see how that went. I think my mistake was not enough Future before the decals. Hell, the humidity is so bad here now it may be October before I know how it worked out. On the upside, instead of doing a wash I may weather the missile with pastel chalks for the first time. I am thinking a wash would just make the decals look worse.

Wish me luck...

And thanks again.

Shaun

Oh, Pics of the whole mess posted tomorrow, hopefully.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 04:34 AM UTC
Pics...

Better pics of the whole thing when I get it finished. The weathering is not nearly done.

Shaun
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:02 AM UTC
Well Shaun...under the circumstances, it looks pretty good. I'm surprised it didn't work right after you took all precautions. Sounds like maybe ol decals or as you assessed too uch humidity. I'm having trouble down here (Dallas) with airbrushing due to the humidity.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
Maybe a little , I live in Hong Kong, and the humidity reaches as high s 100% sometimes. Leave your A/C on for like 2 to 3 hours then AB, the A/C acts as a dehumidifier sometimes.

and Lord Keenan, an impressive SA-2 nevertheless!
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
Shaun,

Try mixing some elmers glue in water with a drop of dish deternat in it to break up the surface tension in the water. The apply the mix to the decals and it should take care of your silvering problems when it drys. I like to make the mixture about as thick as my creamer for my coffee when I apply it. This White glue/water mix also makes a great dead flat coat, but doesn't handle wear and tear that great.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback and tips everyone. Scott, I may give the Elmer/water/detergent thing a whirl.

Thanks again. More pictures when it is finished.

Thanks again,
Shaun
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 05:11 AM UTC
I've had the same problems! I tried the route of using the pin to put holes in the decal and used generous amounst of Microsol and still had the same result--SILVERED! Am I just screwed with these decals and should just try to find some after markets that would work? Since I failed to tell you what I'm working on I guess should mention it. It's a F4 Phantom in a Euro I scheme.

Thanks for everyone's time
Steve
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:55 AM UTC
Some decals and the paper they are on,or the carier film,are like that.
I also use the elmer's white glue/detergent/water route,as a standard.
 _GOTOTOP