Discuss general weathering topics here.
modeling powders
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hi, The Net. is a really great place to get information on just about any subject matter you want. The only bad thing about it is that there seems to be so much info. out there that it tends to overload the old brain box to some extent.

Been doing some reading up on the latest thing to hit the modeling scene, for me at least, and that's the advent of weathering pigments or powders.

Anybody out there had any practical experience with with the MMP or Mig powders yet? And if so, what do you think about them? Are the all they're cracked up to be, and are they worth their cost?

Thanks in advance and take care, Sgirty
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:08 AM UTC
Ola Sgirty

I for myself have only experience with teh MIG pigments and believe me they are worth every penny. I haven`t come across a more versatile product with so much different effects as Mig Pigments.
Fur dusting and rusting and other weathering they are very good. I have used them on my Airborne Jeep to make the duct on it. And I used it on my Rusty PAK35. So many ways of working with the stuff.

For me Making rust was always very hard to do and it always looked stupid but with the Pigments it`s like it`s really rusty.... I can go on about the MIG pigments for a while but they are really good.

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi sgirty, I have used Mig powders recently and they are really good. The only problem I have is stopping myself from overdoing it with them. Plus they do seem good value, I have found that I only use small amounts each time so the ones I have will last ages.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC
I have tried out the MMP powders a little recently and have been very pleased with the effects that you can get with them: from dusting like pastels, to coloring a mud mixture for groundwork, to applying dried dirt to a tank. They are easy to work with and I think they are a good value based on the quantity used each time.

Keith
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:52 AM UTC
I've got a vague idea what Mig powders are, so someone clue me in. Are they like pastels or can you mix them with something to get a paint? What do they cost? and last but certainly not least...Where can I buy them at?
Slippy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:56 PM UTC
I`ve had really good results with dry brushing and also mixing with Mig Acrylic Resin to make dry mud but thats as far as i`ve gone with them.

I know people that have mixed them with varnish for effective fresh mud and I think you can use almost anything with them.

Don`t know where you can get them in the US but you can get them mail order in the UK from www.modelsinmotion.co.uk for GBP 2.50
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
Steve, In the US you can try:
http://www.rjproducts.com/ or
http://www.missionmodels.com
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:16 AM UTC
Steve, for the MMP powders go to WW2Modelmaker.com and the hobbyshop located there. The ordering system is a bit archaic, but it works and I received my powders (I ordered the entire set as it existed at that time) in about a week, very well packaged by the way.

Keith
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC
i just got the mig powders.
and they work great.
and they work the best dry.
mmp powders dont stick to well if try to use them like
regular pastels. so go with the mig powders,
i got mine from R&J THEY ARE NICE AND THEY SHIP FAST AND THEY HAVE THE BEST PRICE FOR THE MIG POWDERS
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
Sgirty,
personally I only use pigments I buy at local arts craft stores. For a fraction of what I'd spend for a single Mig's or whoever else's jar I buy a ton of these. They come in lots of colors and all of them can be mixed together to obtain infinite tones.
Here you can see some examples:

Hope this can hel you getting a lifetime stock of pigments for less than any jar you buy in hobby shops...
Ciao

jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 316 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i just got the mig powders.
and they work great.
and they work the best dry.
mmp powders dont stick to well if try to use them like
regular pastels. so go with the mig powders,
i got mine from R&J THEY ARE NICE AND THEY SHIP FAST AND THEY HAVE THE BEST PRICE FOR THE MIG POWDERS

To each his own, I suppose, but I have found that MMP powders stick to the surface quite a bit better than the Mig pigments. The reason for this is that the former contain an acrylic binder, largely to help with adhesion, while the latter are pure pigments. Now, don't get me wrong, Mig powders are great and many people prefer them (finer pigments is one of their benefits), but you are the first I have seen who's had better luck with adhesion with Mig's product. That is usually the selling point of MMP. Again, to each his own. I've used and like both, but I use MMP more frequently because I prefer the adhesive quality.
BTW, I second your recommendation of R&J, Richard and Joy are first rate!
 _GOTOTOP