_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
blue painters tape
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:03 PM UTC
I've seen some recent advertising on TV for "Blue Painter's Tape". Of course they were showing it while a couple painted the inside of a house, but I wondered if this stuff was low tack enough to use with enamel paint on plastic. Has anybody tried it?
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
Ciao blaster76,
I have no idea, but I would love to find out. I have heard from someone that it really works on models (and it's cheap.)
Ciao for now
Rob
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:27 AM UTC
Ive used it some and it seems to work fine. Just make sure your edges are stuck tight to the model so the paint cant go under it. I like the Tamiya stuff better though. I use the blue stuff for my bases and things like that now.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:20 AM UTC
I've tried the Blue Tape, and had problems with paint seeping under the edges, so I would reiterate matrix's warning to burnish the edges down well. I too prefer the Tamiya tape. I've never had a "bleeding" issue with that stuff.

Mike

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
Thanks for input Sounds like this stuff is similar (but less tacky) than the masking tape I used to use. I switched to the light medical tape , but I'm about out of it, and don't plan to injure myself to get some more. Didn't know about Tamiya tape, have to do a price comparison to see. Got 2 350 scale aircraft carriers and 1 batteship to build and expect to purchase that giant Nimitz when it comes out in a couple of months, so I'll require "mass quantities"
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC
Yeah, a little story on Blue Painters Tape. I go to buy some, thinking about maybe 2 bucks a roll. The little one was five and the big one was eight. I didn't feel right buying it just to eventually throw it away. So I settled with the old TruValue masking tape, and that stuffs awesome!

~Chip
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:32 AM UTC
not only is there blue low tack tape, its now made in a very light green shade as well . the green is light enough to see pencil marks clearly for making cut outs for markings
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:14 PM UTC
I, my friends, use the good old fashioned Bargin Bin, 5 roll package, 1" wide standard masking tape! It works with every medium I use...and there are quite a few.

Cuhail
 _GOTOTOP