Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
US Spec Op killings
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hola all,
Just read in a Swedish newspaper that there's been a few killings/suecides that includes us spec ops and their wifes. Just ´wanted to know what you guys thought about this?
Do you think it is the war in afganistan that screwed the boys heads up? I think like 3 out of 4 just got back from active duty in afganistan, correct me if im wrong.
or could it have been that they found out that their wives been cheating on them while they were protecting us and preserving our freedom?
I for one would like your inputs on this, its just quite interesting that so many spec op guys does it in such a short period of time, and such a crazy thing like this and the similarities between each case.
Only the Soldiers in afghanistan and God knows whats happening over there and the sh*t they are put through.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:39 PM UTC
I saw the same article in my local newspaper and the Military at this time has said that so far it doesnt have any proof that the deployement to Afghanstain directly influnaced their actions.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC
The story is this:

Four soldiers have killed their wives in the last 6 weeks at Ft. Bragg, NC. Two were murders, two were murder-suicides. The most recent was this week, a 1st Sergeant killed his wife. He was a Spec Ops soldier, recently returned from 2+ months in Afghanistan. Two of the other incidents involved recently deployed Spec Ops soldiers, one involved an engineer soldier who had not deployed. The Army is trying to figure out if there is anything that can be done to prevent future incidents.

Two things to point out: First, Ft. Bragg is thick with Spec Ops (Special Forces, Delta, Civil Affairs, PsyOps, Rangers) soldiers, so it shouldn't be too shocking that they might be involved. Certainly three in a row is reason to look into it, but don't draw any conclusions.

The second thing is that wifely infidelity was a factor in at least two of the murders , and is rumored to be part of the others. In the most recent incident, the soldier was sent home from South-Central to deal with 'personal matters'. It isn't hard to read between the lines. (This does not excuse murder, but helps explain why.)

Spec Ops, especially Special Forces and Delta, are highly trained in the lethal arts. In combat, they have to literally 'kill or be killed' and make the decision in a split second. That such soldiers recently returned from a combat zone have trouble seeing alternatives to killing is hardly surprising, especially in an emotionally charged and emminently painful situation as those implied to have occurred. I'm not excusing it, but I can see how it happens.

It is sad that situations like this occur.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 08:03 PM UTC
KInd of strange isn't it last one I read about some wife shot her husband all around same base NC
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
Reef -

You may be recalling the case of the paratrooper who was convicted (Court-Martial) of shooting his (married) lover's husband. It was supposedly done at her behest, although no one can prove it. I believe this happened at Ft Bragg, also. (My facts may be fuzzy, since I didn't pay a lot of attention to the details except to note that it was a pretty sordid soap-opera situation.) This all happened a year or two ago, and the trooper was convicted early this year, I think.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 07:59 AM UTC
No, Jeff's right. A wife shot her husband, an Army major while he slept July 23. There is a minor involved (wife's lover) and the motive was the SGLI and a personal life insurance policy. Page 23 of the 12 Aug Army Times. All incidences revolve around "Jody". Jody is an Army term for the running cadences. There are several "Jodies" where Jody is the guy sleeping with your wife, stealing your girls, etc. while you're in the Army or deployed.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No, Jeff's right. A wife shot her husband, an Army major while he slept July 23. There is a minor involved (wife's lover) and the motive was the SGLI and a personal life insurance policy. Page 23 of the 12 Aug Army Times. All incidences revolve around "Jody". Jody is an Army term for the running cadences. There are several "Jodies" where Jody is the guy sleeping with your wife, stealing your girls, etc. while you're in the Army or deployed.

Really pitiful. . the way some people put such a hold on money that it means every thing to them no respect for human life. I hope they give her hard labor the rest of her natutral life
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 05:14 AM UTC
Unfortunately, the Army doesn't give classes on how to pick a spouse, or how to be a spouse. It is sad that societal values have declined so far that infidelity is so easy a decision to make, for either party. Jody has always been there, but it seems more and more common in the modern day.

What is really sad is that service members will even consider becoming involved with the spouse of another service member. To me, this is too low for words, and should be punished at least as severely as the spouse when a crime results. I don't suppose it would look to good if every third Court-Martial was an infidelity case, but a couple of years at Leavenworth is what these snakes deserve.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, the Army doesn't give classes on how to pick a spouse, or how to be a spouse. It is sad that societal values have declined so far that infidelity is so easy a decision to make, for either party. Jody has always been there, but it seems more and more common in the modern day.

What is really sad is that service members will even consider becoming involved with the spouse of another service member. To me, this is too low for words, and should be punished at least as severely as the spouse when a crime results. I don't suppose it would look to good if every third Court-Martial was an infidelity case, but a couple of years at Leavenworth is what these snakes deserve.

I couldn't agree more with your post! Really! If the military really wants to do something constructive - it would be putting the legal system in action against this. Sorry for the forcefulness of this post - it happened to me...

Gunnie
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, the Army doesn't give classes on how to pick a spouse, or how to be a spouse.

How true. Then again, civil life doesn't give any classes on that either. Nor how you should raise your children. To me, these should be two 101 classes everyone must have at school.

This kind of household aggression is not a military problem. It happens in civil households too, in all countries and all classes of society. It mostly involves ingredients like lack of school education, poverty, situations of relational stress, adultry, health problems with little prospects on improvement with the victim or one of the family members, use of alcohol or narcotics, exaggerated use of proscription drugs, etc... In most cases these situations involve a lot more than a guy who wakes up in the morning with a bad temper ! Sometimes the precursors to such events can be recognized by family, neighbours or other community members, but quite often they are not.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
Marital infidelity has always been a problem, it works both ways though. Not only is Jody visiting the Mrs. while GI Joe is away, but Joe may also be dipping the wick where he is deployed to.

I lived near a woman at Ft. Hood whose husband was in Korea and Jody was living with her. I always just thought Jody was the husband. It wasn't until I PCS'd to Redstone Arsenal and another captain arrived after me. I noticed that his address was the same as the Jody. He was the guy that was in Korea. About a year later when he became my boss, he had to resign his commission in lieu of an investigation. Apparently he was having an affair with a neighbor's wife.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Marital infidelity has always been a problem, it works both ways though. Not only is Jody visiting the Mrs. while GI Joe is away, but Joe may also be dipping the wick where he is deployed to.

I lived near a woman at Ft. Hood whose husband was in Korea and Jody was living with her. I always just thought Jody was the husband. It wasn't until I PCS'd to Redstone Arsenal and another captain arrived after me. I noticed that his address was the same as the Jody. He was the guy that was in Korea. About a year later when he became my boss, he had to resign his commission in lieu of an investigation. Apparently he was having an affair with a neighbor's wife.

Yes but what to do if you go to Korea if you go to 2nd division you can't bring your old lady not allowed
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
I am not a soldier, not by choice but by car accident and 3 back surgeries that it caused. Anyway I hope you guys won't mind me poking my head in hear.

I heard on fox news that the medication these guys where taking to keep from getting sick in Afganistan may be causing the problems. Don't know any more than that but if I find something I will come back and post it.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not a soldier, not by choice but by car accident and 3 back surgeries that it caused. Anyway I hope you guys won't mind me poking my head in hear.

I heard on fox news that the medication these guys where taking to keep from getting sick in Afganistan may be causing the problems. Don't know any more than that but if I find something I will come back and post it.

Heard this too about a week ago. Something about this vacination/pill thing being used in possible criminal trial defences.

Kind of goes back to the Gulf War illness and Anthrax vaccination issues...

Steve
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
Sounds more like the "twinkie" defence. "But, your honor, it wasn't my fault. I ate a bunch of twinkies and the sugar made me kill. I'm more a victim than the people I killed!"
I just wish someone would just once up and say, "Yeah, I offed him/her. I was damn sick and tired of him/her messin' around when I was away and I did the deed. Whatever happens to me, it was worth it!"
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:38 PM UTC
They are now looking into the Malaria drug given to troops.
Update