_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Making 1/35 hooks help please
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC
What is the best way for making 1/35 hooks for winches? I have the Tamiya 2.5 ton 6x6 and am adding the winch I allready bought some fine chain Maybe try to shape a hook from the fine chain? Thanks in advance (++)
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:20 PM UTC
Generalzod;

I've used these before and they work good:

. Go to modelshipways.com
. Click Ship Model Fittings (left side)
. Scroll down to "Hooks" (alphabetically listed) You'll have to do the same thing on the next page. What you should wind up with is item #MS2474, 8mm hooks, 4 pack, $2.49/pack. There's a picture with it so you can look it over before you decide.

Art
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:28 PM UTC
The Academy Modern Tank Accessory kit comes with 3 hooks with chain attached for winches.

Another option is to take plastic rod of about .030 diameter and bend it into a hook shape, then sand the hook end into a pointed shape and put a small ring on the other end for the attachment point.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:52 PM UTC
Being a cheapo I always end up scrounging around the house and occasionally the neighbour's compound for material for scratchbuilding.

I'm not sure whether it would look good but if you can get your hands on fishing hooks for shrimps, they're pretty small. Some of the smaller fish hooks may also work. Of course, they don't look as nice but they're cheap and if you are not a stickler for minute details you might want to check it out.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:22 PM UTC
take a cup hook, local store should have em in the hardware section, easily bendable, and come in all sizes, and the swivel part is mimiced by the stop where the hook enters the wood.

reb
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC
Ciao Generalzod,
I have used the green wire (used for floral arrangements) or aluminum wire, bent it into shape, and then flatten it with a hammer against an anvil or concrete floor. Actually comes out flat and nicely shaped. Plus, it's cheap.
Ciao for now
Rob
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys Not sure which method I'll try yet Maybe experiment with them all and see which one works best for me
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:35 AM UTC
Zod- Laugh at this one if you like, but I find that Bra hooks work very well... :-)8
Just ask ursa if you can borrow one of hers, then tell her Superdog chewed it up! :-)
 _GOTOTOP