Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
reenacting
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hey guys n gals. I love the idea of reenacting stuff and im wondering. Is there a certain age you need to be to do this stuff?
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:55 AM UTC
Scott

At least where I am from, a small group re-enacts the 8th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, a detachment of Union (i.e. Federal), troops in the American Civil War. They include uniforms, all uniform accessories, rifles, flags, cannon, and "Old Abe", an American bald eagle that was the mascot for the unit, (in fact the confederates put out a bounty on Abe's head for any confederate trooper who killed it). The eagle survived the war by the way.

In local parades a small group of re-enactors always marches, and there a couple of young men participating that can't be more than 14. So its probably upto the group/s in your area.

These are nice people, and I would have to assume that people of any age or sex would be welcome (in some sort of capacity) by re-enactors groups anywhere in the world.

Good luck.

Steve

PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:11 PM UTC
Train:
Probably the best way to get more info is to do a Yahoo (or other) search using whatever time frame you are interested in and the word "reenactor"

For instance: "8th air force" and "reenactor"

You may also want to put your conntry in that search to pull up units around you.

In going through several sites in the last few days I have noticed some have age limts (18) and some don't. Those kinds of things should be included in the requirements section of the site.
dvldogusmc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:58 PM UTC
Scott,
I've have been a living historian/reenactor since I was 15. I've done Civil War, WW1 and WW2. Basically it boils down to authenticity. If you hook up w/ a good group, regardless of time period, they should have age requirements that are historically accurate and documented. For instance, Civil War: you shouldn't have a 8 or 9 year running around w/ a weapon, but possibly a drum or fife, WW1: between 18 and 45ish (depending on nationality you portray), WW2: about the same as WW1 but variances will happen particularly on the German side of the house (i.e. later war..older men and teenagers)
Unfortunatley you do see some units that don't enforce this rule in order to get membership, but what ends up happening alot is, you get older guys who can't keep up during an attack or march OR younger kids who end up using the unit loaner gear for extended periods of time due to no money. There is an impression for almost everyone, men and women in reenacting but you need to know yourself, know your limitations, and definitely know what is historically correct.

Marcus
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC
I'm really into the world war 1 and 2 stuff. I guess ill just have to wait.
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:00 PM UTC
Our Civil War unit portrays Union Infantry, so that's the only impression that would be proper for membership. You'd need to be sixteen years old to participate in reenactments, but we've had several start out younger (15) at local living history events. Plus, maturity is a key factor as well. I'd trust a couple of our teenagers with a rifle-musket over my right shoulder more than some thirty-year-olds I've seen in the field.

What is your age, A-Train? Maybe you could hook up with a local group who would be willing to work with you until you're old enough to take the field.

-Charlie
Slava45
entire network: 21 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WW1: between 18 and 45ish (depending on nationality you portray), WW2: about the same as WW1 but variances will happen particularly on the German side of the house (i.e. later war..older men and teenagers)

-------------------------------------

I'm really into the world war 1 and 2 stuff. I guess ill just have to wait.

There is, however an alternative... We all know that young boys and old men did fight in the defence of berlin, but what often goes overlooked is the fact that the russian army had many children in it, throughout most of the war. When the red army started liberating villages, or what was left of them, sometimes they would come upon nothing but smoking rubble. Entire villages had been wiped out by the germans. But red army moved through these villages, they sometimes found children. These orphaned children were often adopted into the regiments, if they were big enough and strong enough to weild a machine gun. Because they were orphaned, these children as young as 12 joined the army sometimes for vengance, or even just companionship. They are given the title of "adopted sons of the regiment", and this is a tradition that lives on with the russian army.
If hoping to do german, you might be able to find an impression doing hiter youth, though i know less about this subject than i do the above.

If you are concerned with age limitations with reenacting, that is another thing. With most units, you have to be at least 16 to shoot. However, there are always exceptions to this, and people below this age, if they are responsible enough and play a functioning role in the reenactment are almost always let participate.
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 10:17 AM UTC
Here in NJ, it's 18 if you carry a weapon. That being said, we have a few younger members in our unit that do medic impressions (one even does a chaplain impression). Not sure about other states in the Union, but NJ is real strict about firearms and minors...

Jeff
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 180 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hi Scott,
Because of our PLI and also because of the VCRA Bill, we can only except members 18 and above.
This mainly because we carry and battle with firearms and also because we work with live aircraft at events and airshows.

Matt
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:21 PM UTC
Four year
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:40 PM UTC
Too quiet around here,
Not many Modelmaking reenactors on here.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 08:56 PM UTC
I re-enacted for five or six years with the American Infantry Preservation Society ([b]AIPS[b]) the UK's best Vietnam living history group.
Great bunch of guys, very dedicated and onto it - made some good buddies and had some great times; if anyone knows Paul Miraldi, ask him about Beltring and the hammock...

That's me...

Alas, I'm back in NZ now and there isn't as active a scene here as in the UK or US - plus weapons are expensive and a hassle; in the UK, we used Arni Jaeger 8mm blank firing M16 replicas (total pieces of carp, just like the original issue of M16s back in the Sixties) and you didn't need any form of license, tho' that may have changed with all the alarm and paranoia with terrorists under every duvet apparently...

And, I gotta face it, I'm getting kinda long in the tooth to be humping the boonies nowadays.
Thank ghod.

If I ever head out again, I'll probably end up as a Volksturm...

C'mon guys, it's an Old Thread, but maybe some of you've got a few secrets hidden away somewhere.

acav out
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hi ACAV,
I jumped on this thread because i've been doing Living history / reenactment for about 15 years, i only do WW2 ,mainly RAF Regt and have collected 58 original WW2 uniforms so far.

I've been with all sorts of tdifferent group doing RAF and British Airborne etc.
I started my own group portraying the wartime RAF.
We do events all over the country and foreign shores.

We work for the RAF and Veteran associations.
Matt

feltmeyer3fjr
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 04:27 AM UTC
I agree with Devildog!!!! It all boils down to authenticity. I too have been having fun with reenacting for around 15yrs also. I only do German, but have numerous reenacting kits and weapons for any time period. It gets very expensive at times, but for the most part alot of fun. I was lucky enough to have a real good unit to start out with, 1st SS, They for the most part were the one the most dicplined units to play with..... had alot of fun with those guys and have aqiured some really good friends. They never strayed from authenticity! Yes there is a cheap and lazy way to reenact, but those who do always are always easy to pick out in a crowd.....because it shows.
So which ever you pick..... Civil war, Revolutionary, WW1,WW2 or even 100yrs war. Be authentic and take pride in the uniform your wearing.

Feltmeyer3FJR
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi
Wasn't a member of this site when this post was originally started so
Here goes, I started when I was 16 still going at 44. I always said when the buzz stops going down my back after the 1st shot was fired I'll stop reenacting.
Started off doing WW2 ( 1st Infantry then 82nd Airborne Glider troops)did that for 20 odd years until some ******** stole all my kit. Dabbled in a little bit of Vietnam had some great fun there. Now I'm doing American Civil War & have been doing that for 11 years nearly. I'm with the Artillery. 1st Maryland. SOSKAN.
My eldest boy now joins me on the field of battle, He started running the powder when he was just over 15 He's now nearly 18 & enjoys every minute of it.
At 1 time I used to do WW2 & American Civil war at the same event/show ( kirby hall , Detling) I'd dress in my uniform for the civil war for most of the day do there battle/show & the I'd do a quick change act & put on my WW2 kit. Then I'd finish the day with them. used to get rather nackered.
It's a great way of escaping from the hassles of modern life. No TV, Playstations Mobile phone switched off between 9am - 5pm its great.
Shaun
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
Wasn't a member of this site when this post was originally started so
Here goes, I started when I was 16 still going at 44. I always said when the buzz stops going down my back after the 1st shot was fired I'll stop reenacting.
Started off doing WW2 ( 1st Infantry then 82nd Airborne Glider troops)did that for 20 odd years until some ******** stole all my kit. Dabbled in a little bit of Vietnam had some great fun there. Now I'm doing American Civil War & have been doing that for 11 years nearly. I'm with the Artillery. 1st Maryland. SOSKAN.
My eldest boy now joins me on the field of battle, He started running the powder when he was just over 15 He's now nearly 18 & enjoys every minute of it.
At 1 time I used to do WW2 & American Civil war at the same event/show ( kirby hall , Detling) I'd dress in my uniform for the civil war for most of the day do there battle/show & the I'd do a quick change act & put on my WW2 kit. Then I'd finish the day with them. used to get rather nackered.
It's a great way of escaping from the hassles of modern life. No TV, Playstations Mobile phone switched off between 9am - 5pm its great.
Shaun

Hi Shaun,
Yes Modern life is rubbish, LOL
The Brit Airborne group i'm a member of Battles at Detling.

Matt
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 398 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
My wife and I are both involved in WW2 re-enacting here in the UK, but our move to West Virginia later this year is going to mean we'll have to find new venues. We sometimes do naval:

Photobucket

with me in USN Shore Patrol rig (those are my own dress blues from my service during 'Nam--still fit!) and she variously as a WAVE nurse or, as shown above, a WREN boat crew. I also do Patton and Ike, with her as a WAC lieutenant from SHAEF staff. Good fun!
Careos
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 04:36 PM UTC
I am a Sergeant in the 1st Tennessee Co. B out of Dayton, Ohio and have been re-enacting American Civil War for 14 years now.

Over the last two years I have also branched off into American Western and WW2 re-enacting where I go out with the 916 Grenadier Regiment.

I must say being only 28 years old, re-enacting and living history have become a key part of my growing into adulthood and wish a lot more of today's youth would do the same.