_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
AAF Tank Museum Visit (VA)...
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC
For anyone who's interested, I plan on taking a trip to the AAF Tank Museum in Danville, VA this Saturday (10 July). http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
I've never been before, and the website is a bit circumspect on what's actually in the collection, but I'm led to believe it's rather extensive. If anyone has a particular vehicle that they know is in the collection, or has something they want me to check, post here or PM me by 1700 Fri EST. I'll be taking along a borrowed digicam so should be able to get some fair pics. This visit is intended to be a precursor to a future trip (or trips) that I intend to make with the aim of working up a comprehensive review for the Big A. I've been in contact with the administrators and we're arranging for an extensive, behind the scenes tour, including a visit to the archives and their restoration shop. So, if I'm unable to fit in your request this time, I'll do my utmost to get to it on a future visit. I'd like to get as many replies as possible, so I'll be able to gague what ares of interest I should spend most of my time exploring. Please, let me know, I'm looking forward to making this anther helpful aspect of this incredible site!
Cheers all, RobH
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
I visited their site when they were on long Island NY. They have a really good selection and as you may know, the star is the Pz IV. The next coolest thing was a SPFX model of a Martian fying war machine from the 1953 War of the Worlds.
At the time, they also had a lot of uniforms and paraphenalia.
IIRC, some more unusual stuff included an M114, an M42, M110 and some captured Iraqi stuff.
You're gonna have a great time!
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:38 PM UTC
Hello Rob, I just now seen this, do you suppose there is anyway you could get some pictures of the hydraulic hoses where they connect at on the M-110. There isn't any pictures I've found that show both ends, and it is no good running a hose with nowhere to hook it to.
Thank you for your time.

Kerry
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
AJ- thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for those pieces.

Kerry- since AJ says they should have one, I'll definitely get some snaps. Are you cocerned primarily with the Hydraulics for traverse/elevation? Those shouldn't be a problem, but anything internal will probably have to wait for a subsequent visit.
Cheers!
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 08:24 AM UTC
Think I'll bump this one more time just to give anyone who might have missed it an opportunity. I'm out the door at 1700 EST, Hope to have a report for you Monday, with Pics to follow. Cheers all!
 _GOTOTOP