Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Civil War uniforms (examples)
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC
I posted a link to a few of these pics few months back in figures. But I thought I might as well drop them here as well as a source of reference if someone is looking for this type of material. I have many more from this battle and some from another event I attended in 2002 that are being scanned in by a friend (those were shot before I had a digital).

WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:40 PM UTC
Pretty cool pics Porkster.

We've got a small detachment of Civil War re-enacters here in E.C. They have three arty pieces, used on Memorial Day, the 4th, etc. that are pretty impressive when they "sound off". Good stuff.

Steve
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:57 PM UTC
Very nice. Trouble is you guys put all these type of pics here and I am liable to do a civil war figure (in a cargo wagon of course :-) )

Cliff

PS> do I have your permission to copy these pics to a reference section on uniforms when I set one up please
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
Well please keep posting these uniforms here i need them and allinfo about them !!!!!!
Thank u

Costas
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Cliff:
PM me your address and I'll send you a disc with about 50 ACW photos and 75 WWII photos. I frankly shoot this stuff for the site, so post it where it's of use.
dvldogusmc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:11 PM UTC
From top to bottom on those pics you have:

1. Green uniform is an example of what the Berdan's Sharpshooters wore, they were excellent shots and were used alot as skirmishers. They suffered heavy casualties and were eventually broken up to serve as detachement to bigger units.
2.,3 Example of a Union corporal. He is missing his haversack which held his food items. His "slouch" type hat is a bit over-adorned. If you study lots of pictures you will notice that , hat brass was not as big as alot of reenactors today portray. He maybe portraying a Western theater soldier who more typically were a bit more rugged looking w/ slouch hats.
4. Confederate Flag bearer, a bit young for the position since the flag bearer was usually a veteran soldier who has proved himself to be worthy to carry the colors. ( Of course, flag bearers didn't live that long in combat) He could just be a replacement. Blue trousers are something that you wouldn't see that much unless it was a later war "capture". Again, something over done in reenacting.
5. Confederate private, again w/ blue trousers, but typical uniform otherwise, gear should be worn higher on the true waist.
6 Artillery Crew, blue trouser once again .