_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Non-modelling related photography ques.
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:58 PM UTC
I wanted to post this in junk drawer, but i guess it suits photography more.
My question is I am thinking of getting a new camera, however I am not sure whether to get a digital camera or a manual SLR.
A standard 4 meg. pixel digital will cost me about RM 1000+(1 USD=RM3.8 ), while a SLR cost me about RM 800+
I intend to use it only for personal use,but I like the professional touch that you can get with SLR's. But digital is so much more convinient.
So the question is which one is more worth it? Digital or SLR?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
Lim, I think it really comes down to what you want to do with it. I had 35mm SLRs for years before I got my digital camera. SLRs have the advantage, at least compared to lower end digital cameras, of being able to get lots of accessories for them. You can get different lenses, filters, and things like that for them. You can also experiment with various film speeds, not to mention all the settings such as F stops, shutter speeds, etc. It can give you a lot of creative control. On the other hand digital cameras give you instant gratification, you can see the picture on your camera right away to decide to keep it or not. That is probably the single biggest advantage digital cameras have, the ability to see your pictures before you print them. The computer also gives you a lot of editing possibilities that you'd only have with the film camera if you scan the pictures to edit them.

There are extra expenses to consider for both cameras. The SLR will require film and developing. If you shoot print film then you basically have to print everything, weather you like it or not. Slide film gives you the ability to look at the picture before printing it, but slide film is normally more money, at least that's what I experienced. The digital means you'll need a good computer and a printer to print the prints. The ink for the printer might wind up costing you as much as a SLR print but you have the advantage of only having to print what you want.

If you are looking to really learn photography, especially how things like the F stop, shutter speed, film speed all affect the composition of the shot, then the SLR might be the better choice. If you're looking for something more like a camera for family snap shots, and such, then the digital might be better.

One thing I can tell you, I got rid of my SLR after getting my digital since I found I was using the digital much more of the time. For me digital was the way to go, but I know a lot of people still using SLRs and very happy with them.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:10 AM UTC
If you're going to be shooting sports, such as car racing or anything where you need to pan, the standard film camera will work better since digi's have a lag time between when you trip the shutter and the image is recorded. Film cameras are instantaneious. You can learn to get the panning down, but you'll loose a lot of shots in the process. (At least htey don't cost anything.)
If you plan on doing any artistic manipulation inthe camera, a manual camera is better.
On the other hand, if you are ultimately on a budget, digis don't use film, bad shots don't cost anything to delete, you can email/post pictures immediately. Most have white balance, so you don't have to worry aout film type or filters to adjust for sun, incandescent or flourescent light.
If you want interchangeable lenses, film is less expensive right now.
Most digis will also allow you to take at least shrt movie clips.
So, now that I've helped to confuse you...
:-)
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:34 AM UTC
YEs, i have taken most of the points into consideration, i already know the SLR basics such as shutter speed, apeture, using the light meter etc
I think what really matters is that digital technology gets outdated very fast ,and i dont mind printing my shots, since those that are not printed tend to get forgotten or permanently lost in the computer files.
I think I will go for the SLR, because I think its more money for value
Any further advice before i make this decision?
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 07:17 PM UTC
Depends of the make and model (obviously) but many digital cameras have a full manual mode too nowadays. That was the main reason for choosing my camera. I was (and still am) a beginner photographer but having that option I knew the camera wouldn't get "old" too soon. I've had it for a year now and am still quite happy.

So whether you get a film SLR or a compact digital be sure that it has features that will keep you going for years. Personally I like to see my pictures on the same day and not having to wait for developing. Sharing pictures with frieds over the Internet is also very important for me. The digital should prove cheaper after a couple hundred shots too (depending on usage.)
 _GOTOTOP