_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
first airbrush
erwinrommel
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hey all...havent posted in like a month so here it goes

im looking to buy my first airbrush...wat should i get?

simple question bting on the answers
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:29 AM UTC
depends how much you want to spend whats your price range?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 05:29 AM UTC
My first air brush was a badger 150, (bought in 1972)it's what I learned airbrushing with. I still have it, only repair has been a new air valve, about 20 years ago. The only other parts that were ever replaced were the tips, and needles, (still got the original heads), and the little teflon gasket that goes behing the head.
I have also owned two aztec, which I used for about two months, just couldn't get use to the feel of them. (not knocking them, just way too light for my liking, and could not to get use to the light weight) Also own a Paashe VSR-90 for over 20 years, always worked great, unfortunately it took a nose dive to the concert floor at work, and now sits in the sick airbrush locker until I can find the parts for it. (hard to find, since brush is so old) My other brush is an Iwata HP-B, also a great brush, no problems with it, does a great job, but I recently got the over whelming urge to buy a new one, so after 30 plus years of faithful service, and practicly no repairs, I bought a new Badger 150. So now I keep the new one at home, and the old one at work.
Airbrushes are like women, we all have our favorites, some like blondes, some redheads, other brunettes.
If my choices of air-brushes reflect my choices of women, I like them all, except plastic. Each air-brush has their good points, and bad points, and most air-brushing is practice, practice, practice, the more you use it, the more you get use to it, and become aware of what it can, and can not do.
erwinrommel
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:07 AM UTC
my price range is like max $125

since its my first i dont want to spend a huge amount of cash on it
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 458 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC

stick to double action with gravity feed cups.
you could get a Tamiya HG double action brush from Lucky Model.com for that price.
according to what I hear its a bargain price but my limited experience with airbrushing is that you should also buy a single action, external mix revell/testors/whatever cheapo airbrush for practicing before you start using the proffessional airbrush you alreay purchased as it is as simple as it gets and helps you understand the basics of optimal distance from surface, paint conssitency etc. etc. without clogging a 100$ airbrush or damaging a needle due to inexperience.

only then should you tear the plastic wrap from your 'real' airbrush.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC
how much is 125$ in can money?
dont be scared to spend your money on an airbrush, its an indespensible tool. i said the same as you " i dont wanna spend to much, its my first one" but i spent 70 dolars for an aztek 320 kit and before that i bought 2 sets of cheapo not worth nothing 30 dollar airbrushes!!!!!!!!!! which i regret!

so, one word of advice! spend it all now! ive asked about the badger 150 when i got it and someone here has his ofr like 20 years, and Dave since 1972! i paid mine 80( i got a deal a an auto store cuz of my dad) but the badger 150 usualy ranger around 160 to 130 withotu tax and shipping. with the badger, i can spray acrylics i couldnt spray no matter what i did with my aztek. this happened to a few people with aztek, and the badger parts are easy to get and are low in cost and there isnt a need for all the special nozzles aztek tries to sell you for 20 bucks each with the badger 150 since its double action ,and once you learn how to use it, its perfect.

so if you dont want to wait your money like i did, go for the 150 right away!

and dont get all cought up with the aztek easy clean up crap! i did and believied it until i got my badger. its as easy or EASIER to clean than the aztek.

liek my grandpa told me many time's. if your going to buy something, might as well be something of high quality so you wont have to change it often. if you buy soemthing of low quality, you'l have to change it often. the proof is, these guys had there badger for over 30 years!!!! and lets say you pay it 160$, divid that by 30 and its your yearly cost. and hey, there probly going to keep it for even longer, as long as you clean it properly itl last forever!

Frank..hope i helped with all the writting. and forgive me for typo's. with all i wrote, i didnt feel liek going it all over
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:26 PM UTC
I bought and aztek 430 for my first brush. I love it. Unlike 3442 I can spray fine lines using acrylics no problems. I use tamiyas and vallejo paints. I have even sprayed the cheap craft store paints. You just have to spend some time to learn what ratios to thin them at. As you should with any brush. It really is a matter of personal pref but the azteks are a fine brush.
Here is a link to some aztek info and techniques.
http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop.htm

HastyP

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
spraying tamiya's, iam fine, dindnt try valejos because i never saw any at the store. i was talking about the acrylics you can buy at walmart, home depot, or even dollorama...now, i like them because they are cheap!!! and i mean realy cheap in price, not quality. i wasnt able to spray them with aztek because of the nozzle. and for 80 dollars can, i got the badger 150. which to me, on the long term, since i get good results with the cheap acrylics i can use with badger and not aztek, it turns out that i save a lot of money. they are easy to thin, and by mixing them, you can get the exact color you want.

instead of spending 3 dollars, for a mini bottle of tamiya's acrylics that i would have to use with my aztek 320, i can spend 1 dollar, for tripple the amout of paint ( and it come's much more dense than tamiya, so once you dilute it properly, you probly have 7 times more paint) with my badger... i used aztek and have to admit it's a good product, maybe if i would of used different nozzles the acrylics i use would of worked well, but i aint to kean on spending 20 bucks a nozzle.

Frank
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:52 PM UTC
lucky model in Hong kong has a good one in for the money have a look here for it cost $99 usd and you should be able to get some real nice thin lines with it its made by Gunze sangyo but I'm sure its actually made by iwata so a chance for a cheap well made brush

Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 458 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC
right on target Mikeli !
I heard BB Rich of Japan is the airbrush contractor for Gunze, Tamiya and Iwata.
they all use the same air hose connector btw but thats only a sidenote.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 03:02 PM UTC
If I do this right then this place has some Iwata's in about every price range for you to decide, the thinner the line the more you pay.Iwata Airbrushes
just click on the Iwata, and it will take you to the cheapest first, then you can look at the rest if them don't satisfy you

Kerry
Romeo12
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC
If you are new to air brushes go with a Badger ,I've had two in the past 25 years and wore them both out! I started with the single action 200 and stayed with it till I got my Aztek 470 several years ago,stay with a single action till you get adept with it then try a double.I love my old badgers and still break them out from time to time,they are soooo easy to paint with,if you need finer lines get a finer needle is all you have to do.My Aztek double is good,but I still love my old Badger.
 _GOTOTOP