_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
electrical wiring systems for the Panzer IV..
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
OK, now that I have your attention, #:-) I would like to know what would be to best glue or epoxy to use when securing brass wire to plastic when simulating the electrical wiring systems on a Panzer IV? It has to be strong enough so if handled or bumped the brass wire will not come of the plastic.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC
I use cyanoacrylate for this, but if you handle it to ruggedly, the pieces will get broken off. I don't know if there's a glue that will work any better. If you have a little wire attached to a piece of plastic, it's bound to be a little fragile.

Nic
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
I never tried it before, but I am thinking that if you add a bit of putty on one the end of the wires then stick to the plastic then add superglue or plastic glue. Would it be stronger and also simulate a bit of the welding bit?

cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hey bros,

I've started a little trick when I attach brass to plastic. This will be for a rod, or a strip.

I have purchased a steel brush (like the one for soldering) and scratch the brass and the spot on the plastic. Do this carfully so that you do not screw up any other part.

After the scratch, glue with either the thin or gap (your choice) style cyano. The scratches give a bite to the glue.

Of course this will not be totaly good if you plan to abuse the kit. but, if you want a pick more security to the brass/plastic union that will not fall apart with a sneeze, then try this.

Dave
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:11 PM UTC
I agree with cdave you defenetly have to give the glue somthing to grab onto. always sand brass etchings ,copper ,any metalneeds to be sanded.
And it dose depend on how strong you want it no matter what you do i suggest being carfull with you fineshed artwork ya know. just a thought.
 _GOTOTOP