_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Air Compressor on Sale - $69.96
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:28 AM UTC
I saw this one on the harbor freight.com website... been thinking about upgrading from the airtank I use... any feedback on this unit - or oiless compressors in general?

Also - someone out there wrote an article on "chosing the right air compressor"... anyone know where to find that article?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47407
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:53 PM UTC
I have a very similar air compressor, but it doesn't have a handle. the problem with it was that if you have it running for too much time it overheats and breaks, so I got to take some time when painting. it actually happened once but I returned it to the store and got a new one
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 05:04 AM UTC
A compressor with a tank needs two things, if it doesn't have both it is dangerous, one is a pressure switch, it turns the compressor off as the pressure in the tank comes up to pressure, and turns it on as the pressure deceases, thus maintaining a average safe pressure in the tank, it also needs a relief valve, to prevent an excess build up of pressure incase the pressure switch fails, to prevent the tank from exploding. Don't confuse your pressure regulator that you use and adjust for your air brush for a pressure switch, because it's not. That only controls the out going pressure to your airbrush.
I would make sure what ever compressor you buy has these two safety devices, and that you insure they are properly working at all times.
You should also have a little pet-cock on the bottom of the tank, to drain out the condensation, or your tank will rust out.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 06:38 PM UTC
I didn't know that, I didn't know I had to drain my compressor!!. my dad has a compressor with a gasoline engine and that pressure relief valve got jammed, pretty scary, I didn't know if I had to try to unjam it or run for cover!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 06:43 PM UTC
I work on very large, high pressure compressors in a power house, Pressure relief valves are test on a weekly basis.
If one of our goes bang, it takes out the building, and anything in it. (it's also the one I hook my airbrush up to when I airbrush at work) I'll post a photo, next time I bring the camera to work. Probably Friday or Saturday, I'm off work until Thursday night.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hello Keith

That compressor looks very similar to the one I bought at WalMart for $89.95. It has worked great for more than a year now. I don't use it in marathon sessions or on a daily basis so I can't really comment on its durability. It cycles on and off to keep the tank's pressure up and it has an emergency relief valve as well as a sensor to shut it down if it overheats. The only drawback is that it is not very quiet (despite its name in the WalMart brand), but I am lucky to have a spot to work where that does not really matter.

Keith
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC
hmm i keep my compressor in next room from where i model. I avoid noiseand the possible effects of an explosion !!!!
Costas
 _GOTOTOP