_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Proper Small Parts removal from sprues
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
We have all done this. You want to cut a vey small piece from your sprue, and you notice its connected to the runner in 3 or more areas, you pick one..and snap..your little piece just broke in half . So, how do you decide what sprue to cut first to minimize damage?.

Having a formal college degree in Mechanical Engineering, I thought..Hey..I can actually apply my engineering education to modeling. I think one trick is to take a close look at the attachment points.

Its the bending stress when cutting the part that leads to failure. Simply pulling on a part in question will not cause as much damage to the part. So with that, I would seek to find the THICKEST sprue connection and cut that FIRST, then trim remaining connections.

Although my theory sometimes holds..Sometimes it does not. Id like to hear what other are doing to reduce breaking pieces off..Any ideas?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
I sometimes cut it a long way from the part. Let's make an illustration:

===---[]--===

ok, the "[]" is the kit part, the "---" is the closest plastic to the kit part and the "==" is the larger part that connects to the rest of the tree.

What I do, I simply cut "==" this part instead of "---" so to minimize damage. Then shave it off.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:01 AM UTC
I usually cut alla of the parts off the sprue using a tool meant to cut electronic components and I cannot remember to brak a single part since I use it...
Ciao
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:32 AM UTC
If I feel a part might break I usually try to cut the part and surrounding sprue from the sprue frame. Then I trim the part away as usual and have never had a part break on me yet. I hope you can understand that :-) Cheers Kevin
 _GOTOTOP