_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Research books?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:36 PM UTC
I was wondering which series of books, the Osprey or Squadron you all found most useful. I have a couple of Squadron "In Action" books and the Osprey Campaign book on Operation Cobra as well as the "Modeling the M3/M5 Stuart" book. I just wondered which of the two you found most useful for inspiration and information?

Or if there is another series you like better? Just bare in mind I'm a poor modeler and can't afford Hunnicut, even if I could find any of his books.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 03:29 PM UTC
I still think Squadron Signal in action series are a pretty good bargin for a book with photos of a particular vehicle. Osprey tends to lean towards the developmental history of the vehicle more than usable photos of the vehicle.

Squadron Signal walk around books are even better, but so far there are only three armor books in this series, Sherman, StuG III and US Tank Destroyers.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
I use Osprey a lot for figure research wile I use the Squadron books for armor/aircraft markings and variants. The only Osprey arnor book i have is the new M3/M5.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi Rodger, For the money I think it's pretty hard to beat either one of these books you mentioned for all the info. and action pictures they have in them.

Another series I picked up through the Military Book Club on and off is the " Armor at War Series" put out by Concord. Most of them are of German stuff, but they have 3 out-- D-Day Tank Warfare; The M4 Sherman at War; and U.S. Tank Destroyers in Combat 1941-1945, that I think you would be most interested in.

They are around 70 to 80 pages; first few are uesd to describe the subject at hand and the rest are full of war photos of very excellent quality, plus 6 to 8 pages of color drawings of vehicles. Can't remember how much they are at the moment, but they weren't all that much, compared to some of the other, more expensive books out. I think somewhere around $15 to $20 each.

Take care, Larry
 _GOTOTOP