_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What is the apropriate airbrush ?
JonhyD
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hello modellers, I would like to be adviced on airbrushes .
Betwen the Badger Crescendo Pro 175-7 and the Aztek 470 wich one is better considering easy cleaningness, fine line capability and durability.
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 727 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 03:15 AM UTC
Well I have owned both an Aztek and the Badger 175 (my current airbrush). The Aztek for me was not a good brush I had issues with spraying various paints like Tamiya (no matter what tip I used and I was using the correct one, or what ratio of thinner to paint). Others I know love them. The thing I did like about the Aztek was the paint tips were easy to swap and durable I just had issues spraying certain paints which also happened to be my brands of choice.

I replaced it with a Badger 175 after I dropped and basically destroyed my other brush (don't ask lol).

So far in 2 years of use the Badger has been great, good coverage when I need it, cleans easily and fits my hand well (something which is important in my opinion). Replacement parts are also easy to obtain.

I have considered buying a gravity feed recently as a brush for doing fine line work but I haven't done this yet.

So in short the Badger is a better brush for me, your mileage may vary though. Airbrushes are a very personal decision and it seems everyone differs on what works for them. If you have specific questions that I can answer drop me an email and I will be happy to chat about both of them.

Rob

HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 03:27 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama JonhyD!!

I love my Aztek!!

I've had other types: Paasche H (I think...), Badger 150, Badger 350, Badger 200. Clean-up was my main point of choice. I think all of them fit my hand, but the Aztek cleans up in a breeze. I don't mind having different tips, forgetting which tip is which, and having to void guarentees by opening the tips to clean them. I know these are the main points Aztek-haters have towards the 470 series. But it works for me and I'm pleased with the results...

Good luck and have fun choosing...cause in the end you'll have a great tool ín your hand no matter which one you buy!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 04:18 AM UTC
I've used Paasche H and VL and now use a Iwata Hp-C the H is a Single action. the others are Doubles. I've loved all of them.
JonhyD
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:39 AM UTC
Thank you for all your help, maybe I chose the Badger for being probably better than the Aztek and for being less expensive.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:53 AM UTC
ive heard A LOT! of good things about the aztek 470..i have a cheap one, the 320 i think it is with the general nozzle and it works jsut fine now that i cleaned it out good... i can make perfect thin lines. just watch out if you use waterbased acrylics... they tend to clog up the general purpose nozzle. but for 70 dollars, with a set of paint and a few neet things i got with it at walmart, it was worth the buy!

what i love about my aztek ( they have on the 470 also) is hte double action, without changing tip, you can get a wide coverage with the general purpose nozzle and get pretty fine lines as long as your paint is well thinned and your pressure is good... i just recently found that out....lol, iam rahter new to airbrushing so... and when i got my airbrush, i wasnt to good at cleaning..so even if your bad liek me...give it a goood! clean after and your good to go! its real easy to do... and since a lot of people have similar problems, its easy to get help of armorama.

Frank
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 11:04 AM UTC
Airbrushes are very personal, like pistols, cars, underwear, etc...

What will you spray? I have three brushes, and Iwata Eclipse, an Aztek A470, and a Badger 175. I like the Iwata hands down over the others for spraying enamels. I like the Badger best for Acrylics. I dont use the Aztec much...

The advantages of the Badger are flexibility and ruggedness, along with good value. Disadvantages are weight and workmanship is not as good as Iwata. Harder to clean.

The Aztecs advantages are ease of cleaning, light weight, low cost, and flexibility. The disadvantages are ruggedness, ease of use, and light weight. (It is TOO light)

Hope this helps. If you want my personal opinion I would tell you to get an Iwata and spray enamels.

Hope I helped...

Scott Gentry
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 11:18 AM UTC
I´m a fan of Paschee Airbrushes. They are good and have an excellent customer service.
 _GOTOTOP