TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Propaganda vs Documentary
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:55 AM UTC
I don't want this to digress into rants on whether President Bush was right going into Iraq.

I want to address the nature of this film and its filmmaker who wraps himself in the guise of documentarian and in truth places a piece of propaganda on the screen.

There is absolutely NO balance in this piece. Moore makes zero attempts to present Sadam in the light of history as the tyrant he was.

The film is filled with historical inaccuracies, falsehoods and out and out lies. What irks me is that I would be more tolerant of Moore if he was honest enough to say his film was a propaganda piece designed to aid in the defeat of President Bush.

I have not seen the film, what I describe is based on articles and reviews I have heard or read.

What Leni Riefenstahl was to Nazi Germany, Michael Moore is to The Democrat National Committee.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 09:06 AM UTC
While I won't say that I agree with you or don't, I have a feeling that this topic will be locked soon, as Big Jim doesn't like to put political threads on Armorama. There are Democrats, Republicans, Independents, etc. on this site, and if one can get put a thread about this on here, then a flame war could erupt. The way I see it, this is why a "Current Events" Forum no longer exists. Thanks for your time.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 12:53 PM UTC
Virtually all movies made during wartime dealing withthe war are propoganda.
Casablanca was propoganda.
Propoganda is, in itself, not a bad thing. Capra's (?) Why We Fight series was the height of propoganda.
Frank, I find it difficult to accept that you are condemming a film, any film, based solely on the reviews and articles. One could pull articles and reviews supportive of the same film and make exactly opposite claims.
As to the bias of the film, Moore makes no bones about it. Neither do the conservative talk radio poeple amke any bones about their bias.
Without getting too deeply into it, tyranny was NOT what was sold to the American public as the reason we went back into Iraq, imminent danger, direct threat from WMD was the reason.
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
Considering 221 films have had larger debut box-office why would 'popular media' make such a fuss about this Marxist load's histrionic drivel and demagoguery. Even Legally Blond 2 had a higher grossing debut than this punk's precious little 'work of art'. Maybe, just maybe, the 'useful idiots' infesting popular media have a similar liberal agenda? Nah, it couldn't be THAT.

Cody