_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Long Islanders? Anyone here?
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
I was wondering how many Long Islanders there are here and, what clubs you belong to. I don't belong to any at this time. I just hang out here and I get my fix at baseline hobbies. So if your a Long Islander say hello.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:36 AM UTC
yes iam from long island,
i belong to the suffolk scale model club
iam from east islip
and i buy my models at bay shore hobbies.
yes i been to baseline hobbies thats a great place.
but i hate driveing there its a apin for me
its like driveing in ny city lol
andyman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hello
I'm from the north shore of Long Island around the middle.
It is good to know that there are others from the Island here. I don't belong to any clubs at this time, I don't know if there are any.
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 76 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 04:38 PM UTC
I'm a former Long Islander. Just wanted to say hey. I grew up in West Islip. Used to go to Bay Shore Hobbies way back when old man Martin and his wife ran it, on Montauk Hwy next to Gimbels. I suddenly feel old. Used to also go to the little shop in East Islip on Montauk Hwy.

Still went to Bay Shore Hobbies after the fire, when it moved to Oakdale, and then back to Bay Shore where it is now. Whenever I go up there I still stop by.

I live in Baltihole ahem, I mean Baltimore now.

Happy modeling!
Rob
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:50 PM UTC
I'm from Queens and I'm a member and President of the Brooklyn Plastic Modelers Society. Check us out on the web at http://www.bpmsclub.com/ we have a nice mix of Armor, Air and Sci Fi. We meet every 3rd Friday at the Bergen Beach Sports Complex.
The site needs updating but look at some of the members blogs, they do a great job.

Jimmy
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:48 PM UTC
Hey guys my name is Leon and I live in East Rockaway. Originally from Flushing. I mostly buy on line now. I can get a better variety and seam to be a little cheaper. any of you guys know anything about wooden ship kits.

Leon
tonyl140
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hello
I'm from west islip and have just got back into the hobby after almost 20 year absense. i think this site and the modelers on it are great it has been a helpful resource for me.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
entire network: 902 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 03:48 AM UTC
Anthony, Have you been over to Baselinein West Babylon?
tonyl140
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 04:54 PM UTC
yes i have been there, i got some buildinng material there,
also some input on airbrushes
ZONER1
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi, Scott,

I'm an Islip resident and am writing as a member of the Long Island Scale Model Society. Our members regularly frequent Baseline, and they sponsor some of our activities and participate in our annual show. We'd welcome you to drop in as a guest to one of our monthly meetings if you're interested. You can find info and scedules at longislandscalemodel.tripod.com.

Matt
tonyl140
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:32 AM UTC
how's the clubs disposition to newcomers, I've heard its a very competitive atomoshpere. if thats not the case i may attend the october meeting.
modelfreak24
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:35 PM UTC
I live in Suffolk also
bigford
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:01 PM UTC
mastic beach here
i use to go to baseline when don was in minolea
andyman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
I go to Men at Arms Hobbies in Middle Island it's the closest one for me. I live in Sound Beach on the north shore.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,081 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:07 PM UTC
New Jersey here.not to far away.Ive been to a few model shows on Long Island.Where is baseline models?
sniper34
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 229 Posts
KitMaker Network: 162 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hello all. I live in Ridge. Been modeling since the 60's. I got back recently and now into armor and large scale aircraft. I used to go to Willis hobby in Mineola when I lived in Franklin Square. Now I get my kits online and from members here. I'll have to check out Men at Arms since it is so close to here. And Baseline since I'm hearing alot about it. No club memberships, I don't feel they need another old guy hanging around.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC
Here's another hello from an ex-Long Islander currently living in southern Indiana. I grew up in Bridgehampton, Wainscott actually. Went to the little red schoolhouse in Sagaponack. My dad used to own an electronics and appliance repair shop right off Montauk Highway east of town. Spent my teen years in Riverhead. I still have brothers in Quogue, Flanders, and Mattituck and a sister who lives in Manorville. Idon't see how they afford to live there! I went back for the first time in 2001 making it some 28 years since I was there. I could still see the beauty of the place among all the development and the population increase. It was sad to see the rural character that the Hamptons once were had become a facade. It used to be the snootiness was confined to Southampton and East Hampton, but it stuck me as being everywhere. Sag Harbor especially was unbelievable in how it changed. Anyway, my model building began with Rana's department store in Bridgehampton and the Ben Franklin and another five and dime I can't remember in East Hampton, Every dime I got went into model cars and airplanes. I think I would have gone mad if I had ever seen a real hobby store back then!
sniper34
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 01:42 PM UTC
I used to race in Bridgehampton. Can-Am and IMSA cars. The old days. Now I build models of them. A little cheaper and your hands don't get so dirty. After 40 years of wrenching, I finally got the dirt from under my nails. Now it's paint and glue.
The Hamptons aren't so bad. You deal with the real people and let the NYC weekenders find their own way.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I used to race in Bridgehampton. Can-Am and IMSA cars. The old days. Now I build models of them. A little cheaper and your hands don't get so dirty. After 40 years of wrenching, I finally got the dirt from under my nails. Now it's paint and glue.
The Hamptons aren't so bad. You deal with the real people and let the NYC weekenders find their own way.

my Mom worked at the track during the summer of 67 and 68 at a concession stand. she'd take me with her and i got to see some of the CAN AM series, still my auto racing passion. I lived next door to the D'Andrea Motel where a lot of teams would stay. The nephew of the owner was my best friend and lived across the street so we were always hanging out checking out the cars. I always wondered what famous drivers we talked to and never knew it. One night during my high school years some friends and I were out country cruising drinking beer when we stopped for a nature break at the entrance to the track. The guard rail gate was pulled shut and there was a padlock through the hasp. I found it wasn't locked. We were in a Chevelle SS. They don't handle hairpins too well at speed! We didn't trash anything, but we did burn up the track for awhile. And we locked the gate when we left. Still, what a night! What ever became of the track? Developers? Condos?

I still love ths CAN AM cars. I have a dozen or so unbuilt Accurate Minatures McLaren M8Bs. I had read there were body fitment issues with some so I acquired enough to hopefully get 3 or 4 good builds, both full bodies and rolling chassis. I recently found the correct color paint from a place in North Carolina I think it was. I just got it in. Actually, two shades were said to be correct but one looks too reddish to me. I have a pretty nice set of 1/18 diecast Chaparrals and I have a superb 2J on pre-order from Exoto.

We pretty much blew the City People off too, but what used to run from Memorial Day to Labor Day now seems to last all year. I remember how hard it was to rent a place year round. Jobs that weren't seasonal were hard to come by, at least ones that paid well unless you wanted to commute. When Grumman closed shop it really put the hit on things out there. I just sensed that things were going to be tougher and there was no way I could stay and have any kind of life. My brother worked at Southampton College and recently lost his job when Stony Brook bought it and offered him a 50% pay reduction. My sister and her husband worked for the Sheriff's Department at Suffolk County Jail, both now retired so they did OK. Her husband inherited a two story duplex in Hampton Bays and some land which set them up nicely. My other brother works for the Suffolk County school system and another does architectural drawings so they've done OK as well. But what they paid for their homes would have bought them twice and three times the house anywhere else (except California and Colorado). My sister's property taxes are 12 times higher than mine and he house isn't that much bigger than mine. Still, the thing I miss most about LI are the beaches at the Sound and the ocean. I just can't make myself swim in the mud puddles that pass for lakes around the midwest. And the rivers in places smell more like fish than the fish markets ever did. Don't even get me started on cultural differences between New York and out here...

Do you by any chance remember Hot Dog Beach in Hampton Bays?? Off Dune Road before the Rich and Famous took it over?
sniper34
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 03:33 PM UTC
Oh yeah. Hot Dog beach. Sure I remember it. Remember The Young Rascals playing at The Barge? Good times were had by all. Hot cars and girls. Well, I can still dream on. The closest I really want to get to Dune road is the Ponquoge bridge where I SCUBA dive under. I just drive thru the towns and head there. Of course you need all kinds of parking permits or you pay big time. Once when I went diving the police waited for all the divers to suit up and get in the water then ticketed all the cars. You have to dive it at slack tide, they knew the schedule, and waited.

I believe Bridgehampton fell to developers but I don't know if it has been done. No condo's tho. Houses, BIG houses.

We used to race a McClaren M8F. We got it from down south with no motor. The motor was an aluminum big block, so that was taken. We put in an LS-6 with dry sump. It had the original headers and quick change rear etc. Very, very fast. We also ran a 68 Z-28 camaro and a 74 427 camaro both in road race trim.

The Island is it's own. NYC is NYC. But Suffolk county is like another part of the state. It is still rural but developing fast. I think the vast difference between the city and even Nassau now makes the East End worth more to those who can live here. If you grew up on the island you have a chance to survive here. But to move out here now you better be willing to pay. They are building monster houses with monster prices even with the sales slow down. And the taxes, of course, keep going up. Only way I make it is that I'm an old man living in an over 55 community. So the taxes are relatvely low and there are state cuts for older citizens. Even still, I have a small but comfortable house that is worth around 300000. And it is not large. Big enough for me and the wife.

Well got to go. Do me a favor and pm me the color you are using on the Mc. I was going to do it in our colors but since it was a George Folmer driven M8F, I think the right color should be on it. Thanks. CHAZ.
modelman424
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 03:23 PM UTC
Lived on long Island all my life,first richmond hill queens(wilsons hobbies on jamaica ave,then levittown(baseline & bayshore hobbies),You do your best deals on EBAY & mail order. The hobbyshops cannot compete with the prices,& today its all about saving money
DrMemory1701
Visit this Community
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 07:51 AM UTC
I am a former Long Islander. I live in (get this) Levittown, Pennsylvania! Yeah, it was a mind
blower to my friends on LI when I told them I moved to Levittown. They wanted to know
how to get to my house from Hempstead Turnpike!
I hang out on this site basically to get ideas and see what is new. My interest is German
armor both hard and softskin vehicles in 1:35 scale. I came back to the hobby after
nearly a 40 year absence. I have found a new enjoyment in a hobby that has only gotten
better over the years.

All the best from a former-Long Islander
Lawnguylander
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 04:53 PM UTC
Former LI'er here- originally from Greenlawn/Huntington, been out here in Colorado since 1991. Build from kits sometimes, but mostly scratch build planes post 1945 in 1/32.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 02:36 AM UTC
Just found this old post by accident. I've been a long Islander since 1957 when we moved from Manhattan to Syosset. Got married 30 years ago and moved to Suffolk county. Been here ever since.

Can't believe how many guys here are from LI.

Was an original member of the Suffolk IMPS chapter, but lost interest in modeling about 30 years ago, and just got back into armor modeling for the past two years. Decided that I didn't want to go the club route again, as contests this time were definitely something I didn't want to do again. Been really happy here. Did go to a recent Reblicon, and saw many of the old guys. As for hobby shops, Bobby's South Shore Hobby's has a fantastic selection, just need time to search, and he has another store that he uses for storage. Jimmy's Men at Arms is mostly figures, but I haven't been there in years. Online, I'm a Sprue Brothers, & Pacific Coast hobby (Tasca kits) man.

And speaking of racing cars and Bridgehampton, I used to race there as well. Did some time trials in a 67 MGB, then went into Enduro Karts, ran Stock Lite, & Heavy, and even won the Enduro Div 1 Championship for 70-71. Still have that plaque hanging on the wall in the model/computer room. Favorite series was Trans Am, then Cam Am. Favorite team was Penske for Trans Am, Can Am was McLaren. Favorite driver was Dan Gurney.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just found this old post by accident. I've been a long Islander since 1957 when we moved from Manhattan to Syosset. Got married 30 years ago and moved to Suffolk county. Been here ever since.

Can't believe how many guys here are from LI.

Was an original member of the Suffolk IMPS chapter, but lost interest in modeling about 30 years ago, and just got back into armor modeling for the past two years. Decided that I didn't want to go the club route again, as contests this time were definitely something I didn't want to do again. Been really happy here. Did go to a recent Reblicon, and saw many of the old guys. As for hobby shops, Bobby's South Shore Hobby's has a fantastic selection, just need time to search, and he has another store that he uses for storage. Jimmy's Men at Arms is mostly figures, but I haven't been there in years. Online, I'm a Sprue Brothers, & Pacific Coast hobby (Tasca kits) man.

And speaking of racing cars and Bridgehampton, I used to race there as well. Did some time trials in a 67 MGB, then went into Enduro Karts, ran Stock Lite, & Heavy, and even won the Enduro Div 1 Championship for 70-71. Still have that plaque hanging on the wall in the model/computer room. Favorite series was Trans Am, then Cam Am. Favorite team was Penske for Trans Am, Can Am was McLaren. Favorite driver was Dan Gurney.

Seems I also recall the famous Yenko Chevrolet raced a few of their Yenko Camaros in either Trans-Am or Can-Am. I know I saw them- just not sure when.

Bridgehampton was truly a world class track. it's a shame it's lost.
 _GOTOTOP