_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Various Armor Questions
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC
Dear Modeling Demi-Gods,

I'm going to ask for some advice, but please type slowly when replying. I've read hundreds of posts on the board thus far and I understand few of them when the masters use floor wax and mix things. I'm a simple fellow with a small brain. I'm trying to make my armor models look "weathered". Thus far, I can only make it look sort of muddy. Also, I'm not sure what forum I should ask these questions in because I can't find "Advice on" any more. So, please refrain from hurling expletives and questioning my lineage until after you give advice. Thanks!!

1. Sandbags - I love em!! I would gladly put sandbags on every little bit of armor I own. But, I never see them on Axis Armor. So, how would I weather a sandbag and should I use them on Axis stuff? Also, how would I anchor them to the sides of some tanks?

2. Gas/Jerry cans - sort of the same question. I always associate them more with Axis big tanks than with Allied tanks. I would love to include them if I could.

3. Figures - I sort of lost some of the figures that came with one of my tanks and I'm looking for 1/25th scale German figures for a JagdPanther. Any advice?

4. Shrubbery - I would love to emulate how the German Mech Heer would camoflauge their tanks. Not talking about the paint jobs. I want to find a way to stick some realistic stuff on the tanks and have them stick. Short of digging in my back yard, what should I do. (Saying "give up and go back to latch-hooking" will not suffice.

I am cognizant that so many of you have already mastered these techniques and can make your models look realistic. So, I ask for a bit of munificence and some advice.

Thanks in advance to both of you who deign to notice me.

Your biggest fan,

Hiram

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:33 PM UTC
1. I have seen plenty of pics of Pz III and IVs with sandbags. Remember the Tigers and KTs were no that vulnerable to Allied tanks. Most German pics I have shows the bags on the horizonal surfaces. Shurtzen (sp) and spaced armor was used on vertical surfaces

2. Although the Jerrycan originated with the Germans and copied by the Allies, I would disagree that they are more prevalent with the Germans. Allied troops carried as much as they could and were usually stacked up with fuel, ammo, food and other comforts.

3. Can't help you on the figures

4. You need to place meshing on your tank so that you can stick the foliage into the mesh. For Shermans there is an aftermarket Sommerfield mesh kit. Don't know about Axis. For the foliage itself, go to a craft store and look at the dried flower supplies for something suitable
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Modeling Demi-Gods,

I'm going to ask for some advice, but please type slowly when replying. I've read hundreds of posts on the board thus far and I understand few of them when the masters use floor wax and mix things. I'm a simple fellow with a small brain. I'm trying to make my armor models look "weathered". Thus far, I can only make it look sort of muddy. Also, I'm not sure what forum I should ask these questions in because I can't find "Advice on" any more. So, please refrain from hurling expletives and questioning my lineage until after you give advice. Thanks!!

1. Sandbags - I love em!! I would gladly put sandbags on every little bit of armor I own. But, I never see them on Axis Armor. So, how would I weather a sandbag and should I use them on Axis stuff? Also, how would I anchor them to the sides of some tanks?

2. Gas/Jerry cans - sort of the same question. I always associate them more with Axis big tanks than with Allied tanks. I would love to include them if I could.

3. Figures - I sort of lost some of the figures that came with one of my tanks and I'm looking for 1/25th scale German figures for a JagdPanther. Any advice?

4. Shrubbery - I would love to emulate how the German Mech Heer would camoflauge their tanks. Not talking about the paint jobs. I want to find a way to stick some realistic stuff on the tanks and have them stick. Short of digging in my back yard, what should I do. (Saying "give up and go back to latch-hooking" will not suffice.

I am cognizant that so many of you have already mastered these techniques and can make your models look realistic. So, I ask for a bit of munificence and some advice.

Thanks in advance to both of you who deign to notice me.

Your biggest fan,

Hiram

Hiram,

Welcome! There should be no need to fear asking questions here, that is what the forums are for. There are some forums that are pretty tough on other sites, but be welcome...

With regards to weathering, I am going to give some general advice as it is really tough to get a fix on what you are asking, so here goes.

First, research, research, research. I hereby assign you to spend hours and hours and hours on the following websites (as a minimum). Pay special attention to articles, galleries, photos, and posts in forums...

www.hyperscale.com
www.track-link.net
www.missing-lynx.com
www.armorama.com (of course)
www.ww2modelmaker.com

In general, there are a couple of basic concepts to start with. Remember that you are trying to model something in scale. So it needs to be exactly that, a scale representation of the real thing. Models tend to look one dimension without what many people refer to as "Weathering." In reality, weathering is many things, but primarily it boils down to 2 things.

First, representing light and shadows in an exagerrated way so that your tiny little Panzer III looks like a big Panzer III when you look at it, and;

Second, using paint and other mediums to make your tiny little Panzer III look like a used military vehicle, i.e., dirty, dinged up, damaged, broken, patched, etc...

In order to get the scale look, the techniques that were pioneered by Francoise Verlinden are usually the baseline most armor modelers use. Namely, adding depth to painted models by using highlights and shadows.

Highlights are generally added to models by "Drybrushing", which is a process by which you take your tiny Panzer III and then "Scrub" the model with a paintbrush with little to no paint in it of a color that it slightly lighter than the base color. You dip a brush in paint, then wipe it repeatedly on a white cloth or paper towel until no paint comes from the brush. In reality, there will still be paint in the brush, and you then scrub the model with the brush. It works very well but does require practice to master. Highlights can also be added by airbrushing or drybrushing faded paint into areas of your tiny Panzer III that would be exposed to a lot of direct sunlight and wear.

Shadows are generally added in one of two methods. First is by airbrushing darker shades of the base color around edges of panels and around recessed areas. This method is caused pre-shading or post-shading, depending on when the darker color is applied, either before or after the basecoat.

The other method for getting shadows is using washes. Washes are essentially highly thinned paint, usually artist oils, but acrylics, enamels, and even watercolors can be used. Essentially you thin the paints to where they are essentially colored thinner, then apply them to the model. The wash runs into all of the recessed areas, and down panel lines and around raised details. Once it dries, it leaves shadows and causes the eye to see depth that really isnt there. This method also takes a lot of practice and materials used to wash must be incompatible with the base paint or disaster can happen.

As to other weathering, the baseline is to do research as I stated above. Also, get some reference materials. If money is an issue, then start with issues of Fine Scale Modeler magazine and the Squadron In Action series. If money isn't an issue, then ask on the forums above and select texts that are specifically aimed at the tank you want to model.

WOW, I am going to wrap this up. I will post more in a separate post....

Hope this was helpful...

Scott Gentry
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:55 PM UTC

I agree with Alan on the sandbag issue. It all depends on which vehicle that you are modeling. This goes back to my first point in my previous post: research. Find a picture of your chosen vehicle and then model it!!

Jerry Cans, I have seen pictures of almost every kind of WW II Tank with Jerry Cans all over them. A great example is the US and British M-10 tank destroyer. Some of these things were literally completely covered with stowage items, including lots of jerry cans.... Refer to previous comments on research...

Not sure on the figures.

Shrubbery. Woodland Scenics and other companies make fantastic scale shrubbery and vegetation. There are lots of books on this subject, and Fine Scale Modeler and the websites I referred to are also great helps... Generally yard vegetation is not preferrable as it won't be in scale, but if you know the look you need then you can select specific plants to accomplish what you need...

Best,

Scott Gentry
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:59 PM UTC
Hiram, welcome. I'll try to address your Q's as best I can. No need of fear here on this site. Great bunch of folks here who arre always willing to help no matter how small or big it might be...ok on to your questions...

AS far as using them on Axis vehicles, I have a picture of a halftrack Sdkfz 251/1 that has sandbags along the top in the vicinty of the machine gun. That one possibility. To weather one, I paint mine in acrylics, tan or light brown and apply a wash of dark brown/black using oil paints. Once this is dry, dry brush using a lighter shade of the color you originally painted the bag. I have never seen any pics of Axis armor with sandbags along the sides of the vehicles. That isnt to say there arent any, I just havent seen any. As far as anchoring them, think wire, rope, brackets of some sort. Just ensure that if you look at it, that it makes sense. ie..10-15 sandbags would have a substantial amount of weight. Make sure that the anchoring system could support it.

Too easy. Italeri makes a box of nothing but Jerry cans. The kit also includes pieces to make a stowage rack.

Tamiya has re-release their 1/25 scale German figures. You should be able to pick them up at a hobby shop or at one of the online places such as Squadron.com, or maybe Greatmodels.com If all else fails, check out ebay

Shrubbery....The real stuff was held on much the same way as sandbags. With what ever they could find to secure it. Most of the picture referrences that I have seen show the use of wire, stretched in a zig-zag pattern down the length of the vehicle. The pieces of foilage are then stuck in between the wire and the vehicle. You can do the same thing using nylon sewing thread (The invisable kind that looks like fishing line) and some pieces of dried flowers or what have you that can be found in the dried flower section of a craft store. Just to make sure they stayed put, you cold dilute some white glue and water and apply that as well. It dries clear and flat and should provide enough sttrength to hold the stuff in place.

One more word of advice.....find and old kit and use it as your test bed for new techniques and such. Paint jobs, washes, drybrushing weathering techniques, battle damage etc. It doesn't even have to be a complete kit. It will sure beat plunking down some hard earned cash on your favorite model, and then ruiniing that model when things dont go as planned for what ever reason. Use the test model to become comfortable, well versed, and totally at ease with doing what ever it is you decide to do to your future kits. And most importantly........HAVE FUN...IT'S A HOBBY!!

"Q"
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 02:27 PM UTC
So, were we any help at all to you????????

Scott Gentry
 _GOTOTOP