_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Walmart?
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:10 PM UTC
hey fellow modelers, did you ever wonder if walmart could be your new hobby shop?
now, dont be shy and admit you all take a look at the modeling section at walmart, last time i checked you could have a desent airbrush set( already baugth it and works fairly well) for 80 dollars can including taxes... a revell flying tiger for 12$ and you'd pay about 30 at a hobbyshop( if not more)

sine they order from testors( aztek) revell etc, do you think they could order my aztek 470? for cheaper than id pay at a hobby shop?

frank
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:16 PM UTC
Last time I looked at the Walmart hobby area in the stores here, there really wasn't alot of things that were too interesting, but the craft area sure had a number of things that I was able to use! Maybe I should take another look, it may have improved since then!
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
WalMart actually has some pretty good "accessory items" Armor kits? No. But you can pick up a lot of other good stuff really cheap. White glue, rubber cement, celluclay, floral wire, Elmer's spray adhesive, good paint brushes, oil paints, dried flowers, wooden bases, plaster, drywall putty, etc........... No kits, but tons of other good stuff. Maybe one day they will stock decent kits.

Patrick
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:52 PM UTC
hey, I also got the flying tiger from walmart, along with the P-47 and P-51! I haven't built them but they were cheap!!!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 05:07 PM UTC
yeah, the tiger is an okay kit, fits fairly well i would say, i guess i can be generous and say i has ok detail when it comes to the cockpit but hte rest is good

i managed to get a spitefire from zellers and i spotted a set of humbrol oils! but my christmas budget was dead

Frank

adn i have to agree, walmart has some good stuff ofr dio's...anyone check out the artist section, they sell oils

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:19 AM UTC
You could ask about them "special ordering" an Aztek, worst caser scenario they'd say no. But they maintain their low proces by volume purchases (an "Always low wages. Always") They dictate to their suppliers what they want, how they want it packaged and when they want it delivered. Woe to the late delivery!
This really is a case of "Support Your Local Hobby Shop". Looking to save a bit on a major item is nice, but when you need that specialty tool or don't want to pay shipping and handling for your paints and that special kit, the hobby shop that gets eaten by Wally World won't be there to help you.
Getting off my soap box now.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:30 AM UTC
One thing you guys didn't mention, if you work it right anything you get at Wally World can come out of the shopping budget, not your modeling budget. Scenario, you're doing the family shopping and you realize you need super glue, sanding sticks, otherwise known as finger nail files, aluminum trays, small tools, etc. Instead of picking them up on your own throw them into the basket and "SWMBO" pays for them instead of you.

AJ, I see where you're coming from about WM putting littles guys out of business. I will support my LHS in any way I can, short of paying two and three times as much for "model" stuff than that is exactly like the same items sold in a grocery store. Can you imagine how much Future would go for if it was marketed to modelers?

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:17 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Just a quick note on Walmart. As far as kits go, they're no use to me...very little selection (kinda like Michael's). But an interesting thing they have over in the 'Craft' section is, something called a 'Whittler's Set'.
What this is is a bag of 10 pieces of Basswood of differing sizes, all 1" thick by approx. 2" - 6" long.
This same set of Basswood would cost you about $25.00 at your LHS where they are sold seperately, but bagged in this 'Whittler's Set' all that Basswood is $3.97! In case some are not aware, Basswood is excellent for creating ' Masters'

HTH.

Tread.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 08:49 AM UTC
yeah, didnt think about the suport thing, btu agree with it. seriously, who read my post "you crazy modelers"? maybe if its by suporting our lhs that wel get better prices...who nows? or maybe by having more peopel i nthe hobby!

Frank
 _GOTOTOP