Chalk / Pastel Washes
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:55 AM UTC
Hi there,
I have heard of a lot of people talking about using chalk or pastel(not sure if there is a difference) washes by making them into a powder like a pigment. I was just wondering how to do this, techniques and such. Also what do i need to buy artist pastels, normal chalk ect.

A basic how to, would be nice to.

-John
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:04 PM UTC
I use these artists pastels, I purchased at Michael's Craft store. Making into power easy, sandpaper. I blend to desired color on a clean piece of paper then brush on the model for desired effect.

There have been several good discussions of weathering, shading and panel line enhancement here by others better at it than I. Just search the posts for weathering or panel lines they should pop up in the list.

tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:17 PM UTC
dont get oil based pastels.
just get reg pastels.
and cra what is the name of the pastels u have in the pic
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:23 PM UTC
Sorry Tazz I misplaced the box top some time ago. I believe the brand name is something like "Artix", it's an earth tone set.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:27 PM UTC
I just take regular pastels, grind them up and add water, then just apply to the model. Learned this trick from Guntruck, you can find it on his website under the T-55 article.
Thanks Gunnie!
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 1,217 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just take regular pastels, grind them up and add water, then just apply to the model. Learned this trick from Guntruck, you can find it on his website under the T-55 article.
Thanks Gunnie!

Yup this is the basic tehnique, but u should also add a bit of detergent used for washing dishes it makes the pastel better "stick" to where ever u apply them

and, dont forget to "seal" them with a thin coat of laquer (must be sprayed! not brushed) so u protect them from beeing "wiped off" by fingers etc...

cheers
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:57 PM UTC
Thx Guys, I will go out this weekend and get some pastels and try some techniques on old models. :-)-><
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Tazz I misplaced the box top some time ago. I believe the brand name is something like "Artix", it's an earth tone set.

CRS,

I have the same exact set I believe...Weber Costello brand called "Alphacolor"...it's their earthtone set...I believe I bought mine at Michaels, but I couldn't swear to it....it was over 12 years ago...

P.S. How'd you get those Air Assault wings under your callsign..first time I've seen those...cool...
 _GOTOTOP