_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
You crazy modelers!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC
I'ts not all that bad ...yes some stuff is expensive but if you calculate the amount spent over the number of hours of swearing and grumbling we do to get that stuff to fit it comes out not so bad.. :-) I have no problem spending on a kit ...My last big project was my Pershing ...I bought 3 books at an average of $30.00 each. I bought the Eduard P// set for $30.00 ..I bought a new commanders cupola from loon models for $6.00 ,A set of stowage for the Pershing from Trakx from around $25.00 the Mantlet set for $15.00 . I'm still waiting on a set of P/E from Royal (kit has been finished for 2 months) ...The Verlinden engine and stowage boxes (this set is crap I used about 4 pieces from it ..I will use the engine on another Pershing though)$40.00 And last but not least a set of tracks from WWII Productions that cost me over $60.00 by the time I got them...
you add it up ..(I don't dare.. :-) ) One thing I can say is that I never enjoyed a kit more than this one and isn't that what the idea of a hobby is all about? Do I do this for each kit ..? NO! but once and a while I go all out .. best thing to do is ask before you buy if people think the kit is worth the money and pick and choose the kits that you really want to go all out on ...You really should go down and see the hobby shop in Dorval they have a big selection of AM stuff and worth it his prices are very competitive.. It is called Hobby Junction .Get mom to take you but tell her to bring a book cause you'll be in there for a couple of hours... Hey i drive up from Quebec city to visit that shop so it is worth the trip.

Rick
jw73
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Zachodniopomorskie, Poland
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:14 AM UTC
I usually build models oob but sometimes use pe end resin or metal barrel. I really enjoy to collect all that suplements and then start slow, precise build. Longer I build more satisfy I am. OOB is also OK and It encourage me to build next model with PE and other suplements.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:45 AM UTC
Hey 3442,

I will have to ask some of the guys in the club as to when the Laval show is, or was......

For some reason I think it has already come and gone, but I am not 100% positive.

May want to check the hobby shops in your area to see if they know if there is a Laval hobby club....they would definalty know!!

I will send you a PM when I find out.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:26 PM UTC
It's a cheap hobby. So if you shell out like average 100 bucks per kits, I think average modeler takes between 30 to 45 days to finish a model with all the AMs, and it evens out to like 3 bucks per day.

How in the world you can find cheaper entertainment than this?

SO STOP COMPLAINTING!!!!!! OR YOUR WIVES ARE GONNA USE THIS TO AGAINST YOU
mr109
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
I have to admit paying 30.00$ for a 1/48 fighter plane model is a bit much. But if bought from one of the better known webstores they drop to around 20.00 to
25.00 but you have to factor in shipping. Then their is
always ebay, I have had good luck with my dealings
there. What I have done myself is I am building more in 1/72 scale with the excellent tamiya offerings
they are almost as detailed as there 1/48 cousins
and cost quite a bit less. I also limit the aftermarket stuff to resin wheels(if needed) and eudards zoom photo-etch parts. Or the other alternative is to buy only what we can build within a years time, NOT!
Well happy modeling everybody
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 08:47 AM UTC
Cost of Tamiya kit: $45
Cost of Aber PE: $20
Cost of Friul tracks: $35
Cost of Eduard barrel: $12

Cost of actually finishing a kit you are proud of: Priceless

csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:48 AM UTC
I use to build OOB and add some PE if itīs extremly necesary, I spend more or less $50 - $60 per kit and $10 -$ 20 in figures to place with the kit in a litle dio. I donīt think this is an expensive hobby. I spent a lot of hours with each project, about 40 - 60 hs, and obtain enormous pleasure when modelling a kit, when I finish it and every time when I see it in the shelf with the other finished projects.
One thing that I think that most of us do is to buy an exagereted quantity of kits, maybe some of them never will be built, but also itīs is part of this hobby.
Donīt worry, buy kits, build them and be happy.

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:35 AM UTC
Yep thats why i stay with what I called OOB and OOB modified with what I can scratchbuild, use from accessery kits or cast from parts from other kits. :> the only thing Verlinden i've ever bought is some dry transfers and maps ect. details.

JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:18 AM UTC
As many here have alluded, don't confuse cost with value... if it's worth your time and money in terms of satisfaction, then the cost is reasonable... if it's not worth it, don't do it. I've got way more kits than I will probably even build, but part of the satisfaction I get is having the collection. I build when I want to, do other things when I don't, and don't ever worry about getting sometime done on deadline... it is a hobby, something done purely for enjoyment. Bargain hunting is also part of the fun for me, and I sometimes will get stuff just because it cheap and I MIGHT have a use for it later.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
yeah, i get what you mean greatbrit, i play electric guitar (b.c rich warlock with roland cube-30) and i paid 200 for it( dad payed half...my firend payed it 700 a year ago) but il be using that guitar for a realy long time and when il stop playing, i sell it, so how much is that guitar realy gonna colst me, nothing realy.

but i payed 70 bucks for my tamiya tiger 1 late version( RIP OFF!!! even if its an amazing kit) plus the paint so lets say at least 77 dolars, i finished it in a week... and am i going to be able to sell it after? not realy... im not so good YET!!!!( its slowly comign thanks to all of you guys) so i spent 77 for a week.

righyt now i need a new airbrush, i checked out some nozzles...outrageous! 15 bucks canadien for a nozzle! my local hoby shop will charge me 20! its a freakin piece of plastic with soem cheap metal! how can it be worht 20 bucks!

sry guys, i need to whine a lil, just got back from my dads work and since iam to young to have a "job" i work fro free and pass the broom all day( but hey i call it an investmant since il get paid next year)

take care and continue whinning about outrageous prices for models with me! mayeb the big tamiya or dml boss might read this

frank
 _GOTOTOP