_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
3M Sanding Sponges
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 01:54 AM UTC
I did a Forum search on this and didn't find any mention of the product, so excuse me if I'm dredging up old news.

I was in the Paint section of an Ace Hardware store a while back, and came across these sponge-backed sanding sheets by 3M. They came in super-fine, fine, medium and coarse. I've been using them in place of sanding sticks, and just love the way they work. You can cut them to any size and shape you may need, they fold around any shaped object, and they hold up very well. I generally use the super-fine and fine grades, and have had great luck with them. I think they were about $3.00 a sheet, which I thought was reasonable, since you can customize the shape.

I don't know if anyone has tried them already, but thought I would mention them as a substitute for nail-files and sanding sticks.

Mike

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
Used them on cars real ones. And on Barrels they do real good. The only thing is if you were to sand something flat cause the sponge backing not good as the tend to dip. But for removing the last remains of seam on barrels they are good. Just hold the barrel in between and spin. well some one else may have more praises for them.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:08 AM UTC
Got one in the mail as a sample a couple of years ago.Fine grit, IIRC. As Jeff says, good for finiishing barrels. I cut mine into strips.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 11:00 PM UTC
I use them sometimes. Most of the time I use them to get the top off a can of paint that won't budge, works like a charm!
 _GOTOTOP