_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
In addition to pressure casting.........
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:57 PM UTC
I'm planning on putting something together in regards to mold making and the use of a vaccum chamber to remove the air out of the molds. This creates a better mold for casting reducing the blemishes that appear. Anybody game for another how to? I need to finish getting my stuff together for this one, so it will be down the road a little ways. Just checking the pulse at this point. Let me know. "Q"
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:14 AM UTC
First check out Dig. Diamond #10. That covers RTV molds and this one bubbleless pouring touches on the process.

I'm showing you these not to discouage you, maybe to save you some time in writing yours.

The process does sound cool. I remember a thread or two where people were talking about it and it had interest.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:44 AM UTC
You know that before the resin settles down, it imcreases in volume about three times and your molds have to allow for that? Figured you knew, but wanted to make sure.
I have some dig pix of how Plus Model does it. If you want them, let me know.

Sealhead
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:47 AM UTC
Howdy Red4,

Hey, I think it's just great you working on these 'tech' articles. Another viewpoint is always a good thing! You almost invariably pick up some priceless nugget, if you know what I mean.

But, since you're so 'Gung-Ho' as of late, maybe you should consider writing a 'tech' article on Quantum Physics, Nano Technology, or Sub-Atomic Quark Interactions???....................whadaya think ?

:-)

Tread.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:53 AM UTC
I was thinking alongs the lines of time and space displacement. :-) Thanks for the info folks. I'l check things out. "Q"
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:13 AM UTC
After reading the Digital Diamonds on airless pouring I gotta tell ya...the vaccum system is not that expensive. I did a google search and came across several places that sell hobby type kits to do it at home. While they can get really expensive, $2500 +, you can get a 24"x12" clear domed chamber, complete with all hook ups and a guage for less than $200. I know that this isn't chump change, but it is more affordable than some would think. The only thing that does cost more than I'd like, is a vaccum pump. But...these can be found at flea markets, pawn shops and in the newspapers. I picked one up at the flea market for $40. On one of the sites I found the least exspensive one was about $340. Ouch... It just takes some leg work here and there. I know not everybody can afford these things, but at least you can have the info made available to you. I'm going to look into maybe finding a hand pump for use. This has got to be less exspensive than the electric. Jusr some food for thought folks. "Q"
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
Well folks, the vaccum pump/air evacuation set up works like a champ. For less than $10 I got the parts I needed to get it going and does it ever work good. I did a test run ensuring I made my mold box a lot taller than normal to allow for the expansion of the rubber. I de-gassed it once and checked things out. The rubber climbed to within 1/4" of the top of the mold box. The mold box was 6"!! The master parts were maybe an inch in height, so I'm glad I made the box as tall as I did. When I checked it the first time there was a lot of air bubbles sitting on the surface so I knew it was drawing them off. I hit it a second time and when I checked, there was maybe 6 or so small bubbles sitting on the surface. These popped after about 2 minutes and the remaining rubber is smooth as glass. It is curing as I type this. I think that this technique combined with the pressure casting is going to produce some great stuff. If any of you out there want additional info on how I have this stuff set up, please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be happy to share. Article anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Buhler.....
Thanks. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP