_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
help me please!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:06 PM UTC
alright, iam a cheapo, so when i go to the hobby store and i see a 70 dollar tiger from tamiya, i think a million times before buying it. 2 days ago i was on the forums and i saw this sponsor ad, the hobby easy one, i took a look at it and seems to good to be true! i converted the dollar to canadian money, made a little list and all my things added up to 70 dollars which is amazing! so i went to check out and i noticed something i loved: shipping fee: 0.00$( i am cheap ) now the place is in hong kong soemwere liek that, i went to the second check out but it didnt work

all this just to say, did anyone ever order from there? and is the shipping realy free!

Thanks a great deal because i never ordered anything in my life and i want to do it right the first time i will ( dont want my mom to kill me with the shipping and handling fee)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:23 PM UTC
alright, i checked my order over once more and i found shipping cost this time...
now, what do you think, are the following items worth 112$ can( with shipping and handilng)
-academy stug 4( 10.10$)
-academy Flak pz.4 Wirblewind (10.10$)
-tamiya sherman m4a3 105mm(25$)
-tamiya german 75mm anti-tank gun (6.10$)
-tamiya german Panther Ausf.A (13.94$)
-tamiya us weapon set (4.36$)
-shipping(43.38) ( it would cost me hundreds of dolalrs to fly to hong kong)

seems like a good deal to me since i paid my sherman m4a3 60 bucks 2 years ago! ( which is half the total price) so id save 35$ which is basicly the shipping and handling

would it cost less to order twice ( order half now and order the other half later)
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:12 PM UTC
When i'm working out the value of postal orders like this (having ordered from japan and malaysia before) I always look at the final cost of product plus postage combined. If this cost is less than what it'd cost me to to order the same products locally (in my country) and also posted to me i go for it. Any saving is a good saving.

I'd say your better off (allbeit by only a few dollars maybe) to buy the lot at once. Combining items into 1 postage saves money....just depends how much you have to play with. Althoghh having said that if your not entirelly sure about the service you may/may not get from the retailer i'd suggest making a small order first just to get an idea on their level of service, speed of delivery etc. Let us know how you go.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 03:30 AM UTC
thx, now iam feeling more confident about this... i jsut have to convince my momn to use her credit card

now, id be saving a hell of a lot if the total ads up to 112 with shipping since my local hobby shop doesnt sel tanks under 50 dollars
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC
If the site has a secure server (they should tell you if they do ) your credit card info is just as safe, if not safer, than using it in a store or by phone.
I generally trust sponsors of this site. Although I haven't ordered from the one you posted about.
Also, be aware that your order may take a while to reach you. This is normal for overseas orders.
It seems like a good deal to me.
Chuck
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC
Watch binging stuff into Canada, Customs will hit you for duty and taxes which can kill a great looking deal. Try this site in Canada. http://www.militaryhobbies.ca/

HastyP
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
Yeah Hasty P is right ...You will get slapped with a good sized costums bill ...It cost me almost $20.00 dollars for a $54.00 set of tracks ...And there ain't nothing you can do to get around it ...That will add a whole lot to the cost...I order everything from Canada as much as possible ,and only get things not available in Canada from overseas or the States...If you compare our prices are very good ..Go look at the Barrel store which is Canadian based ...you'll find some good deals. Hey if you're in the Montreal region ...Hobby Junction has some awesome prices too...
I'd have to say that some of those kits are cheap for a reason ...The two Academy kits a cheap copies of the very old Tamiya kits...The 75mm isn't too bad but AFV Club has annouced a new one ....The Tamiya Panther well ....The demensions are all off and they forgot a whole row of wheels...
I'd think about it if I were you ..

Rick
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC
hey, check out
www.discountmodels.com, there posted in the resources/hobbyshops area

man they were very very friendly, they knew exactly what i wanted. and it got here in three days.

and the best part is that there in michigan. so its only a hop skip and a jump away from our northern friends. prices are very nice as well.

make sure you write down the items number on there site before ordering. so they can get them into there system quicker.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:41 PM UTC
I'd half to agree with other on the rule of watching out for customs fees. There are a lot of good shops in Canada and the US that offer prices close to if not somewhat cheeper than some of the asian shops. I also have to say is do some research on the kits you are ordering. Most early academy kits are realy bad copies of other companies kits. Tamiya alos did some bad one early on as well. The other thing to look at is Tamiya has also retooled some of their older kits to modern standards the whirlwind being one of those redone. If you have to order online do some searching for reveiws here or on Hyperscale (watchout with this one cause a reveiw can easily trun out to be a how I detailed this kit story). They can help you in not spending hard earned money. HTH STUG
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 03:27 PM UTC
43 bucks is a lot for shiping.
just keep checking around.
miltray hobbyies have good prices.
iam kinda on the cheap side also.
there is now way i would pay 43 bucks for shiping lol
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:26 PM UTC
It is a wonder what you" Western" guys pay for kits. I bought some kits when I was in Germany +16% VAT. That was really nuts. I could buy the 6.50 euro DML figures for US$4.50 by mail order around Asia. The AFV Club Longtom would cost US$35 through hobby shops around Europe shipping not included. I could buy it for US$18 shipping included.

I tried to order from a company called Roll Models. They wanted to charge me 45% of the cost price for shipping to Saudi Arabia!

I keep myself to a budget of US$50 a month or below that. A little less than the amount I used to spend for cigarettes.

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC
thx guys, all i need to do now is gather up some $!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:35 PM UTC
dont forget lucky model

they are cheap fast and only put the shipping cost on the invoice so you will not pay any customs charges or very little compared to the full price of all the kits combined I have used them a few times and I'm very happy with the service, BTW if you can leave out the old Tamiya panther it's past it for not much more you can get a new dragon one same with the acadamy stuff those kits are copies of the older tamiya offerings and if you really want them hold on until a modelling show you should be able to pick them up pretty cheap there.
Save up a little longer and buy some newer kits of the kits above then you'll be happy with the saving you made
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
My advise is try to buy your models in Canada/US area. Buying things overseas can add up, shipping, insurance and taxes imposed by Customs will kill you. Remember, if you don't purchase insurance and your items are lost in transit, you're up the river without a paddle or a boat!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:45 AM UTC
yeah you guys are right, il stick to canada areas even if its damn tempting not too
il stick to hasty's link, cheaptest store( for me)

Thx buddies and happy modeling!
 _GOTOTOP