_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Choosing an Optivisor
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:44 AM UTC
Friends,

It's time.... The age of my eyes and my whish to add even more detail in my painting made me decide to buy an Optivisor.

I've been looking at the Optivisors that are available, but there are more different glasses than I expected. If I am correct the difference is in the focal length and the magnifying capabilities. The question, you can feel it coming, is : What type to choose ?

Do you have advise, or can you share your personal thoughts when you purchased yours ?

Eager to hear from you !
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
I purchased one of those lights with a single magnifiying glass. Terrible results. I guess the monocular magnifier made me loose depth perception. I then got a pair of those that you wear on your head. I have had much better results with them.

I don't know name brands or focal lengths or anything like that, but I do know monocular is bad. Get something with two lenses. Good luck.

Patrick
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:39 AM UTC
I just bought a visor without really thinking about it, but when I have used it I've noticed the difference that Patrick mentioned. I enjoyed using it eventhough I am nearsighted (which ever farsighted/nearsighted is seeing items closer better than farther away...)

Now I need to make some tools to help me use the advantage of the visor...
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
Just to let you know, that I'm looking at the Optivisors in the link below :

Optivisors

Don't want a single magnifying glass...If I want a headache, I'll have a drink or two too much
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
Eagle- I've got the 5.00 USD Chines knockoff of these. Actually has the 'Donegal' brandname stamped on the band The 4.8x mag is fantastic(that's with the swing out lense), I use it to superdetail my 1:144 cockpits. Don't bother with the ligtpacks though, they just add weight( and this hobby strains our necks enough,eh?) and go through batteries like you wouldn't believe. HTH. Luck!
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:54 AM UTC
Doubled-up reading glasses are good for quite a bit of tasks but when it's time to get really serious I use this bad boy...

Cody
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC
Hey Cody, I'm dyin' for one of them things! Got an extra 300 bucks I can have? Or maybe you could just adopt my next kid... :-)
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:16 AM UTC
LD,

Here's a link... http://www.greatscopes.com/para.htm I just bought one of these with the extra light. It should be here any day now... They accept credit cards. G'head, buy the thing and take the heat later.

Cody
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hey MetalHat!- Thx for the great site, very many pretties to be had there. But lets see... 219.00 for the stereoscope, + 79.00 for the light, + shipping from Jamestown (O.K., O.K., it's only 13 mi. from my house... ),x.06 sales tax= So, are you sending me the 300.00+ bucks or should I just ship the new kid to your House? :-) :-) :-) :-)
Honestly, it's a great deal, (may just drive down after work someday and see if they have on site sales) but after the I got from SWMBO about the HobLob 1/2 off sale, I could just imagine the reaction when I walked in the door with one of these beauties...
"Hey, LogansDad- you look kind of silly with that stereoscope stickin' outta your !"
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 07:16 PM UTC
I got that one with the round tube light in it and the spring loaded tower to help steady it, now it cost more then most the others, but the magnifying glass in it is heavy glass, which means a lot instead of that cheap plastic to scratch, and the light helps tremendously, and you can position it to just about any position you want.
The only time it falls short is when your working on something on your bench and sometimes it is hard to get it and yourself to the right position.
I would like to get a headset with a light to, some time in the future, cause I've found out you always seem to need more light then what is in the room, for when I'm working on something that I can't lift off the workbench.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
I wear glasses to see.....
so after going though several different types, that seems to cover half my head and face, and eventually felt like I was wearing a lead faceshield, I stumbled upon a maginfier that simply slips over my glasses and maginfies 3 times in the fly tying section of my fishing tackle shop, cost about 20 bucks, and doesn't give me tunnel vision any more, and are extremly light weight. Flip up when not in use. They come complete with a light weight frame for those lucky enough not to need glasses..... yet!
 _GOTOTOP