_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Any modelers in the Dallas area?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:32 PM UTC
Blaster and I both live in the Dallas area... any other folks here on Armorama hail near-about Cowboy's Country? Perhaps we could get together now and then to do a little group building?
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hey KFM, another Texan! lol I live in Allen, moved here from Joisey a couple years ago. I'm a newbie to model building so I have a very limited skill set. Any clubs in the area? I've been thinking it might be a good thing to join one to help learn more about this great hobby.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
I live in Plano. I travel most weeks so the wife is pretty protective of the weekends so I don't know about group building. I'd have to get a kitchen pass.

I have been trying to get rid of some magazines I don't need. Mostly WWII stuff. Epi said I could drop them off at Hobby Maker but that's a bit far. I only go that way when I'm going to the airport.

Paul
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:39 AM UTC
If ya don't need them I'd be willing to take them off your hands.
Potroast
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:57 AM UTC
Sounds like fun and I'm game! I live in Coppell so I'm pretty much right in the middle of the Metroplex. I've re-rereturned to modeling after about an eight year layoff and am currently focusing on 54MM Wild West and Civil War figure sculpting because I'm sick and tired of trying to find decent, affordable miniatures at a reasonable price like the 1/35th figures.

Anyway, I'm booked until after the 4th of July (Disney World vacation), but my schedule's wide open after that so whatever's decided I'm in.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:45 AM UTC
I'm finding the same problem with getting good 1/35 scale figures. There's not a lot out there unfortunately, at least in this area. Going to have to learn how to make my own. lol

Another area aside from modern military figures I'm interested in is the Samurai period of Japanese history. Going to have to find me some nice Samurai figures to work on.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC
Moezilla. Tamiya made a small series of Samurai figures. If you haven't gotte those yet. Seems I saw them at Hobby Maker which is out in Bedford. Glad to see my old buddy Potroast back on the line again after your long absence. Keith and I usually attend both the Mesquite and Arlington shows, so if we can't get together before then, maybe then. I work on weekend nights so a group build is probably out of question for me, but i'ld love to meet you guys sometime
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
Will check into those Tamiya figs, thanks!

Shows in Mesquite and Arlington? What kinds of shows? When? Where? lol
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:46 AM UTC
Moezilla.... sorry to hear you moved here so recently - Blaster will tell you that up until about 9 months ago we had the finest "resin figure" shop anywhere - "Phil's Hobby Shop".... unfortunately he retired and shut down the store (I tried to buy him out!).

So - looks like we have at least 5 fellas here.... I have a pretty sweet setup in Plano (just off the tollway behind Tintsletown / Windhaven Parkway)... I'll volunteer to playt host first (including the beer, sodas and chips...

What I have in mind is we all work on a particular project together... one does the figures, one the buildings, one the terrain, etc... then we enter the sucker in the Arlington show in late August. Sound like fun?

What say the week after 4th of July....? Say Sunday afternoon around 3:00?
Potroast
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Heya Blaster! I got tied up with some family issues that took up..oh...about 100% of my time, but I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. Glad to see you still haunting the place.

I'm all for a group build...sounds like a heckuva lot of fun.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 12:29 PM UTC
Okay guys... i'm gonna open up "the studio" to the local dallas gang. I live in Plano off the tollway (windhaven exit). Thinking about the 1st Saturday of October. I've got tons of molds, lot's of room, airbrush booth, power drills and sanders all set up, and and a pretty cooperative wife. If you'd like to come, send me email to [email protected]. Include your phone and mailing address and I'll send out invites with maps.

Keith
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:21 AM UTC
hi gang

i live in arlington area, and i am interested in gettin started again on modeling, its changed tons since i stopped years ago.

hope to hear from ya soon

reb

[email protected]

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:43 AM UTC
Ok - here is the OFFICIAL INVITE:

Plano Armorama Group will meet at my place, Saturday, October 2. Looks like we have about 6-7 people in the area, but I need you to RSVP at [email protected] so I can get everything set up. I have a lot of tools, including a spray booth, building desk, high-speed sanding/planing system, etc.

First meeting will be pretty casual. I will kick off by giving everyone a hands-on lesson in scratchbuilding with BalsaFoam (free sheet for everyone to practice on). Bring your Exacto blades. We will create something together, with each person working on a section. When everything is done, we will cast a mold with RTV silicon of our collaborative work, and them make a resin master... plan on about 3 hours, with a 1:00 start time!

Future areas of interest that I could volunteer to lead would be:
- large bodies of water
- re-positioning figures
- territory / terrain

Hopefully others can volunteer on other subjects... I'd love to have someone to show me the "in's and out's" of building individual track links... I've done it, but it is not master quality. We can decide on a longterm agenda at the meeting.

Here is the address information:

Keith Magee
5817 Johns Wood Drive
Plano, TX 75093
ph: 972-608-9800

I recommend that we bring things to trade as well... books, model kits, figures... anything you might wanna swap. If you want to bring a friend, email them this message, so they can RSVP as well. Remember RSVP to [email protected].

Look forward to meeting everyone!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I live in Plano. I travel most weeks so the wife is pretty protective of the weekends so I don't know about group building. I'd have to get a kitchen pass.

I have been trying to get rid of some magazines I don't need. Mostly WWII stuff. Epi said I could drop them off at Hobby Maker but that's a bit far. I only go that way when I'm going to the airport.

Paul

I think a good idea would be for everyone to bring old books and magazines, and we can trade amongst ourselves... I have quite a stash as well! See everyone this weekend at 3:00. If you need directions, email me at [email protected]
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:38 PM UTC
i am working but will be with ya in spirit

have a great time gang

reb
 _GOTOTOP