_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
flat tires
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
i've experiemented in several was on trying (thats the keyword) to make tires look, well not flat, but the normal sag a tire has, but getting it to look like a real tire is hard, i use the plastic kit tires, is that the problem? or is there a certain methoed i always try to heat it up by flame a little then 'mold' i guess you could say into shape....yeah that didnt work a couple of times so besides buying AM wheels, how do i do this?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC
Ola Mechmaniac

In my opinion heating it with a lighter flame is too aggressive and painfull. I wanted flat tires on my PAK and I used the lighter flam and with that I burned my fingers.
Maybe you could try heating it up with an Iron wich you press your clothes with.?? I haven`t tried that I`m only suggesting that it might work. Or with a solder-iron

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:20 AM UTC
I wouldn't bother unless you are trying to model a flat tire. The sag on military vehicles is almost un-notoicable. Cars generally have it because that is part of the "cushion" , the smooth ride we like. Military uses harder tirebecause demands for hard tough conditions
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't bother unless you are trying to model a flat tire. The sag on military vehicles is almost un-notoicable. Cars generally have it because that is part of the "cushion" , the smooth ride we like. Military uses harder tirebecause demands for hard tough conditions

do you think that if i sink the tire into the 'ground' in my diorama (i'm using a dirt road where the vehicle will be) that it will look like a vehicle on a dirt road, that was my original plan, to make tires look realistic on a dirt road.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
Faust hit the nail on the head.. The best thing to use to flatten a tire is a Clothes Iron. It heats up slowly and you can control it easily.
Also in a pinch (when the Iron is in use) I have used the burner on the electric stove. Trick there is to put the burner on low and place the tires on a cold burner ( try to do them all at the same time) as it heats up. Cause as the burner heats up it will melt it really quick.( ask me how I know that one ).

The only real problem with that is explaining to the ruler of the domain. Is what that burning smell is.

Paul
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:55 AM UTC
For a really flat tire, I used Milliput. Came out great. First I removed some of the bottom of the tire, then I scupted the Milliput, treads and all. That sucker is blown!

Sealhead
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For a really flat tire, I used Milliput. Came out great. First I removed some of the bottom of the tire, then I scupted the Milliput, treads and all. That sucker is blown!

Sealhead

what is milliput? some sort of putty or glue? whatever it is, how does it work
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
In regards to your question about pushing the model a bit into ground work. Yes, that would be a great idea. I have only dioramaed one wheel, but that's sort of what I did. I do it all the time in my tank dios. I use asection of track to make impressions on the ground work to show the path the tank took behind it. My wheeled dio, I ran the jeep trailer up and down the proposed dirt road to show useage
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:17 PM UTC
Miliput is a 2 part Epoxy Putty. you mix it together & Sculpt it.
NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
If you go the Iron route. Try to use a piece of wax paper between the wheel and the iron. Your wife may thank you later ...
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC
Put it into a boiling pan of water and leave for 5 mins. Then when you feel it is ready press it softly against a flat surface.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC
Ok, my turn to chime in. The suggestion of using an iron and some wax paper is right on the money. I went to the store and grabbed a generic iron for under $20 and it is used exclusively for doing this type of work. The boiling /hot water method didnt work for me. The heat from the water took my fingers out before the tire was ready to "smoosh". And my fingers werent even in the water, just slightly above it. The miliput idea is also a great idea. A buddy of mine uses this for flat tires and they look great. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP