_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
how do i use putty?
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:32 PM UTC
okay, this is probly the stupidest question i can come up with but it unfortunatly matters a great deal.

Iam i great fan of putty, for a clumsy modeler liek me it can fix many mistakes, but i dont know how to use it properly, can anyone guid me?
Thanks
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:01 PM UTC
How do you use it?: Very carefully Duh!?!?

Well, I'm not sure what you are using to apply it, but there are many tools out there that help modellers in using putty. Most are very small versions of what masoners use to put mortar on (lathes?); er, at least thats what I use. You don't need very much, in fact on a little is needed. Apply it smoothly across the surface you want to cover and try and feather it out like you would excess paint (makes sanding a little easier I find).

At first, I hated putty, because I didn't realize little is more and, especially if your not good at it, it takes more than one time. I'm only now coming to grips that maybe I should be covering a gap, sanding, and reapplying where necessary. Hopes that gets you started, maybe the more experienced modellers out there will help me...er...you with the advanced details .
GunNut
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:33 PM UTC
Depends on what kind of putty you use. For the common tube putties like Squadron or Tamiya, I use a little but of Testors thinner for Metalizer and a brush, work the putty into a soupy thin paste with the thinner and brush, and apply sparingly with the brush. SOme people use Testors cement to thin the putty, but it is more difficult to come back later and smooth or thin the putty after it has set. I use the Testors metalizer thinner (or Model Master Metalizer Thinner) to clean up areas and smooth putty a bit after it has set, just brush on some thinner over the hardened putty and keep brushing,m keeping the putty wet., It takes some practice to keep air bubbles out but eventually you get the feel for it. Most putty shrinks a bit too, so you sometimes neeb to build it up in layers. Sanding, smoothing, shaping- all come with practice.

If using a coarse putty like Squadron green you can go over it with something like a primer of Mr. Surfacer. By coarse, I am relatively speaking, its very fine grained but still course compared to paint or primer.

Hope this helps
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
iam sure your trick will help me out i just used one layer and sanded it down and painted wasnt realy nice so i guess with you tips and practice it WILL look good

thanks guys!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hey Gunnut, thanks a lot! i tried your tips on my brothers catalina and it looks MUCHHHH better!

_GOTOTOP