TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
K19: You might want to check it out
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:29 PM UTC
Hi,

Saw K19 tonight. Thought it was a good movie. I'm not an expert on the true story, but did think this was a good film. I'll have to watch the History channel special on this again.

A bit over the top in a few spots and I think the very end of the film layed it on a llittle thick... But there are some very moving and disturbing scenes.

If you are interested in the Cold War and the Soviet Navy (or submarines) you should check it out. The missile launch scene is awesome. Really liked that part for some reason.

I thought it was equal to Hunt for Red October but not quite as "fun." Harrison Ford is good in a different kind of role (for a change) and Liam Nielsen makes a nice counter to the Ford character.

I have heard that some folks in Russia aren't too happy with the movie and the way it depicts the crew and ship. You can see where they're coming from...

It's 2.5 hours, so hit the men's room first!

Steve

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 08:37 PM UTC
I have not seen teh movie, only the trailers on TV and at other movies. Based on the History Channel show last night, where did "torpedoes in teh water" come from? According to teh History Channel there never was an effort by anyone to destroy the sub. In fact it went to sea twice and had two major leaks and fires. It earned the nickname in the Russian Fleet as the "Hiroshima".
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...where did "torpedoes in teh water" come from? According to teh History Channel there never was an effort by anyone to destroy the sub. In fact it went to sea twice and had two major leaks and fires. It earned the nickname in the Russian Fleet as the "Hiroshima".

Well, not to give the whole movie away, lets say they were on a training trip so many things would be simulated. This includes attacks by other subs...

The trailers certainly need to make the movie seem exciting to get people to see it.

I too saw the History channel show (late last night). As I mentioned above, this is a Hollywood movie, not a documentary.

I would like to see movies that are close to what actually happened. This is why I think Black Hawk Down is so powerfull. I think the critics were dissapointed with BHD because they didn't know how to handle it. There was no love story, no big conflict between a commander and a subordiante, etc...

So in K19, they decide to add some of these elements. The movie Crimson Tide comes to mind.

But, all that aside, it's still a decent flick and entertaining. It's no Das Boot, but it's no Behind Enemy Lines either!

Steve
teufelhund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC
It's no Das Boot, but it's no Behind Enemy Lines either!

....And no "Pearl Harbor"!

I'm glad they didn't do to this movie what hollywood does to history all to often - soften and trivialize it.

Another along the same lines was U-571.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC
Ok, History channel did state that on one of the two accidents they were training with the fleet.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 03:35 AM UTC

One minor nitpick. They do a good job of showing the horrors of being bombarded by radiation, but in real life people swell up almost uncontrollably a short time after the exposure.

I think they should have tried to depict this because the radion effects seem a little less than real.

Steve
Olangi120
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 09:28 AM UTC
Iam looking foward to checking out the K-19 movie,I saw the trailor recently and would like to compare how factual this story is I have seen two documenteries on this K-19 sub the latest was the history channels program last night.Its an interesting look at the cold war era that was closed to most people.By the way after this K-19 program the history channel had the true story of the Hunt for Red Octorber, which was in fact a story based on a soviet destroyer in 1965.