_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
resin smells?
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 07:26 AM UTC
I was cutting away the exess on my russian tank commander and stunk, Why?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 07:29 AM UTC
That resin dust is really dangerous. Some people I have talked to have respiratory problems because of it. When cutting and sanding resin, you should always wear a dust mask. Annoying, I know, but worth it. Fortunately I found this out before anything happened to me.

Nic
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC
wow thanks for that little tid bit of information, yhe know every time I got a question you allways have the answer
Thanks folger
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 07:54 AM UTC
Well, I must admit, much of what I know about modeling I learned from others on this site, and I've only been a member for the past 2 months. Anyway, I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Nic
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 08:52 AM UTC
Sully,
When cutting or sanding resin is is best, if possible, to do it under water. That may be difficult when sawing, but try to wet sand resin.
I know the first time I had to cut off a big pour plug on a resin kit, I went outside with my Dremel, a couple of cutting wheels and sanding drums. Boy, did that put a ton of dust in the air.
I found a good way to wet sand resin. Get one of those cheap plastic picture frame boxes, I got a 9" x 12". Use double sided tape and stick wet or dry sandpaper to the bottom.This is usually available at an auto parts store. I got 220 grit. Put water in the picture box, enough to cover the bottom, and sand away. Be sure to put the whole thing on a sturdy surface.
HTH
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:16 AM UTC
I bought myself a belt/disk sander last year it has a hookup for a vacuum hose . So Ibought a cheap vacuum fo when I'm sanding or shaping.I keep the nozzle nearby when using the dremel and it draws in most of the dust.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
 _GOTOTOP