_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
SKIFF Models?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:58 PM UTC
Hi! A fellow modeler of mine is selling his SKIFF models. Are these any good? Any reviews for these SKIFF kits:
2S1 Gvozdika SPG BTR-152 (3 Variants)
MT-LB BMP-3
T-64A T-64BV
T-55AM (1983 Variant)

Are they 1 piece vinyl tracks? How's the fit of the kit? Is it like Tamiya in terms of fit and detail?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 12,719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi
You can have a look here for some SKIF kits reviews :
http://www.track-link.net/reviews/M_S/Skif

I've had been told that their T55 was one of the worst T55 kit around : IT'S TRUE ! (I've bought it anyway just for the basic interior parts....)

HTH
Frenchy
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:13 PM UTC
dont expect it to build like a Tamiya kit and be prepared to clean up alot of flash on them
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 12:08 AM UTC
I think this has been discussed here before, but for what they make they are the only plastic, 1/35th game in town.
Their MTLB is ok, the SAM vers has some fit issues with the missile boxes to the launcher rack.
All but one of the T64's have turret issues (turret changes not incorporated into later kits? iirc), the BMP3 is ok, but some of the detail is soft and clunky.
The T55 is the worst of the available T55 kits, coming in behind the Trumpter offerings.

I have many of their kits, but have finished few of them if that tells you anything.

Mike
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:35 AM UTC
I've only built the Skif BMP-3 (see my build and article in the March 2004 issue (vol. 53) of Armour Modelling magazine), and it was a very difficult build. Fit was terrible, detail was soft, clunky, or absent, and parts cleanup alone took me two weeks. On top of that, the instructions were a pack of outright lies!!

Other than that, I loved it!

With some TLC (and Eduard's PE set) it turns into a very respectable BMP-3. And since it's the only BMP-3 kit out there, if you want one and you don't want to scratchbuild the whole thing, SKIF is the only game in town.

So, no, SKIF's kits are not Tamiya quality. But then again, Tamiya doesn't make a BMP-3...so there ya go.

It's like I always say: if you want to build a certain subject, the maker doesn't matter much!

Of course, if Tamiya DID make a BMP-3...
 _GOTOTOP