_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Need Comments on my 101st Airborne BARman
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:38 PM UTC
Here's my Dragon 101st Airborne BARman figure. Need comments especially on the faces. (I such in figures but I want to learn how) Painted with Tamiya Enamels, washed with Tamiya Acrylics and used Revell flesh enamel for the face.

Hopefully, I can improve my skills in figure painting. I've used Tamiya Acrylic flat brown for the wash on the face and semi-gloss black for the clothes then drybrush with enamels (base coat + white).
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:49 PM UTC
Maganda nga ito bro.

Faces on 1/35 is tricky. I still strugle getting it right. But one thing I noticed is if the kit's head is bad in the first place the result of the painting will also be bad.

Kahit anong pintura ko sa mga old Tamiya figures, sama pa rin.

Konting dumi pa sa boots. At alisini mo ying mold lines. Nakikita ko pa sa left boot nya. Don't be too particular in the US uniform colors,

If you watched Saving Pvt. Ryan or Kelly's Heroes, you can see the same uniform but different shades.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maganda nga ito bro.

Faces on 1/35 is tricky. I still strugle getting it right. But one thing I noticed is if the kit's head is bad in the first place the result of the painting will also be bad.

Kahit anong pintura ko sa mga old Tamiya figures, sama pa rin.

Konting dumi pa sa boots. At alisini mo ying mold lines. Nakikita ko pa sa left boot nya. Don't be too particular in the US uniform colors,

If you watched Saving Pvt. Ryan or Kelly's Heroes, you can see the same uniform but different shades.

Hehehe... thanks dude! Comparable and head nito sa mga resins. Ganda ng detail. Yep, di ko masyadong napansin yung mold lines :-) Badtrip. Yung weathering saka na. Kasi ilalagay ko rin to sa diorama. Doon na lang ako magweweather.
flex_cs
Visit this Community
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

woww u really have a keen eye mondo cant even see the molds....which picture does it show the mold lines

ganda i like wat u did with the gun looks really convincing like it had chipped paint and all...
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:16 AM UTC
Shonen,

Its a fine build. I like the way you were able to weather it subtly. I myself use only subtle weathering on my figures.

The face is fine enough. You may want to try using oils for washes and shades instead. Try mixing Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre oil paints.

Great build!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shonen,

Its a fine build. I like the way you were able to weather it subtly. I myself use only subtle weathering on my figures.

The face is fine enough. You may want to try using oils for washes and shades instead. Try mixing Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre oil paints.

Great build!

Thanks sir! Can I have a hands -on tutor on site? :-) I'll bring my tools next time I come so you can teach me especially on the face. Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre.... I'll check NBS...
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
If you plan on trying oil paints, try mo yung LOUVRE. Wag ka bumili ng REEVES...Para kseng ang lalaki ng pigments....They tend to settle at the bottom easily....

I agree with mondo, a good face can save a figure. Kinda gives it more feeling....If possible, correct all imperfections before working on the kit....and get it detailed as much as you can...More effort, but it brings more satisfaction too....

Nice figure overall! You'll be pushing in the ranks of the great figure painters here in ARMORAMA in no time!

Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:39 AM UTC
Nice one Shonen! galing nito! in no time Master modeller ka na! ako.........nakatirik pa rin yung mata sa pader ng bahay.
I also see the mould lines mondo is talking about. Best to take care of them! a burnt sienna (or shades) wash is needed on the faces & hands. Also try using dark browns or basecoat+black instead of full blacks on the clothes wash. You also could mix up your own flesh tone. Buff+red, white+red+dark yellow, white+brown, enamels+oils just to start with.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:26 PM UTC
Thanks Fritz!!! Trial ko lang muna yung wash. I first tried black. Still have 3 on the death row. Hasel kasi pumunta sa Lil's Mega at Makati kung saan maraming fresh acrylics. Subukan ko bumili ng base coat na acrylic naman
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC
Other than the flash on the boot, the thing looks sexy.

Though, the face, and the uniform is a bit sterile for my tastes (I want my figures, if I do make some in the future, DIRTY!!).

Galing!
BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:21 PM UTC
Your skills has improved over the US Army tanker.

Good job.

BT6
 _GOTOTOP