_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tamiya models
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:41 AM UTC
Hey guys as most of you know im going to be making a small snippet of June 6th landings and im going to be using Tamiya models. I've ordered the models but i want to know in advance did i pick the right make?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:55 AM UTC
Well what did you pick? Let us know and we'll tell you if you're right. M4 earlies are fine ...Cromwells and centaurs are cool ..the Churchill is good ...Jeeps ,deuce and a halfs are fine too .Universal carriers...M8 and M20's are good...Dragons M4A1 is a thumbs up ...M4a4's and fireflies are ok from dragon. Lots to choose from ...I'm sure there are many more out there that I haven't thought of.

Rick
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
What models did you buy? The Tamiya M4 is a decent kit and fairly appropriate for a D-Day tank.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC
don't forget the Italerie DuKW On the German side PZKW IV H and mid production Tiger 1's. The 88 artillery piece is also a good choice Panther A's and D's are also correct
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:40 AM UTC
im talking about the figures, The german machine gun and mortar groups and the allied assault troops.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:13 AM UTC
The Tamiya British infantry are NOT correct for late war British infantry. Some (fairly minor) mods have to be made.... Best point to start is using Accurate Armour's update set for them....Go here (if the link works)...Jim

Infantry Update

Nope, it doesn't, go from here to 'Infantry Equipment and Weapon Accessories'...
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC
honestly, i think ALL tamiya models are the best, i simply love them, so no matter what you order from tamiya, i'd say its the best, i like other companies to, but tamiya....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:34 AM UTC
Mech, I don't think you can seriously compare Academy's M3 Stuart with Tamiya's nor Tamiya's M36 with that of Academy either. Just two examples that I can think of. The figures from Dragon are also streets ahead of Tamiya. If you go a little further and look at the quality of Tristar's figures against those of Tamiya's 20+ year old offerings..... I'm not trying to start a flame-war over this, some Tamiya kits are superb others sadly, do not compare to more modern offerings....Jim
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mech, I don't think you can seriously compare Academy's M3 Stuart with Tamiya's nor Tamiya's M36 with that of Academy either.

looks like mech-maniac might have to try some academy models then....
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya British infantry are NOT correct for late war British infantry. Some (fairly minor) mods have to be made.... Best point to start is using Accurate Armour's update set for them....Go here (if the link works)...Jim

what mods?? i know tamiya has brit inf. that is the 8th army, there is another set?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:04 AM UTC
You should check out the lates issue of fine scale modeler, it has quite complete lists of kits that can be used for modeling D-day.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i know tamiya has brit inf. that is the 8th army, there is another set?

They do a set called "British Infantry on Patrol" #35223 that came out in 1998.

As jimbrae said, they have made some minor mistakes. The bayonets, which are combined as part of the trenching tool moulding, are the early type and are not suitable with the type of rifle the are carrying. The Bren #2 (middle figure, bottom row) is said to have the wrong size pouches, and if you do use them you have to add a strap around the chest (which is shown on the art work but not on the figure). They all lack the gasmask pouches and the section leader (the one with the Sten) is shown with a pistol holster which is rather unlikely for such a junior rank (a corporal).
 _GOTOTOP