_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
will this hobby ever be gone?
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:36 PM UTC
well i read that the oil resources will only last us for around 50 -60 years and since plastic is a by product of oil do you guys think that by the time our oil resouce is gone will there by plastic for modelling? i mean i know 50 years is long but i would be 60 70 yrs old then..still be able to kick up some models
Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:59 PM UTC
Plus, even before that...if oil gets tight then non essential items will be done with...like models. so you are lookin at 30 yrs tops instead....
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 285 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:05 PM UTC
That doesn't sound very possitive, Bishop.

But does that mean our models (build and unbuild) will become a very valuable possession???

Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:07 PM UTC
abolutely.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:09 PM UTC
We'll all be building Wooden models.....LOL
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:19 PM UTC
Naaaahh, no need to worry, a lot of plastics these days can be made from organic components (even things like alcohol and we all know how alcohol is made don't we???). Also several types of plastic can be easily recycled.

I don't think we need to panic yet...

Kris
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Naaaahh, no need to worry, a lot of plastics these days can be made from organic components (even things like alcohol and we all know how alcohol is made don't we???). Also several types of plastic can be easily recycled.

I don't think we need to panic yet...

Kris

You mean our models will decay in time since it is organic??
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:04 AM UTC
Sounds like we'll all be building resin kits at about $300 apiece. Of course that after walking to the store (or riding an electric/solar hybrid bus).
ekke
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Naaaahh, no need to worry, a lot of plastics these days can be made from organic components

I also read about that so don`t worry
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Basically, about 90% of this world is made up out of Hydrocarbons. Plastic, oil, wood, we, alcohol,... are some combination form of hydrogen,carbon, oxygen and a couple of other elements. So will find some way or another...

And I don't say it will be cheap...

So who wants to donate his body to science?? any volunteers?? #:-) #:-)

Kris
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No this means we can grow our own models, something like a bonzai tank.

Sorry, friday afternoon.......
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
I think world oil reserves actually increase annually due to better exploration and extraction technology. Better technology makes fields that were not economically viable 20 years ago worth drilling now. There may come a tipping point where we use more than we discover but I think that is quite a long way off.

Just my half barrel of sweet crude...

Shaun
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
Why worry? Most of us have enough models to last through a nuclear winter. Now glue, that would really be bad to run out of it.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 8,227 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,502 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC
I dont think that is a real problem with our hobby..What I would like to know is where are all the kids that use to be in the hobby stores? Cheers! John.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:13 AM UTC
There are lots of alternative materials to make models from... no worry there. But as was previously mentioned, only if the industry stays viable.

When I was a kid (9-14), EVERYONE saved their allowances to buy a model or two every month or so. Our rooms were full of cars, planes, and other items that caught our fancy. My two sons are both quite young (4 & 6), and both are fascinated by my modeling... I think I have two replacements for the industry - but we as fathers and uncles need to instill the fun, skill, and creativity of the hobby to our sons TODAY - or the hobby will die with us.

There is so much more out there that is interactive and captivating - computers, game consoles, portable music, etc... those "distractions" weren't there when we were kids. We have to do our evangelism NOW. IF a single generation bypasses our hobby, then the industry will die.

Get involved with Boyscouts, local schools, church organizations - there are a lot of opportunities to "evangelize" - but we have to get involved.

OK - I'll get off the soap box now...
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
i build wooden models, but not like the things we make, simple tanks planes helos boats race cars (rubber band dragsters rule) its fun, i love working with my old man out in the woodshop...

and refering to the question about glue, we'll be melting horse hoovs and extracting gelatin from our jello!!! or we'll be using paper spit balls!!!

modeling will never die even if it comes to this ....
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:15 AM UTC
How about some diecast models, like the 1/72 dragon ones? I have heard that there are CD's made out of corn, yeah thats right, corn! but by the time the oil runs out the human population will triplicate, and corn will be just as valuable as oil!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:27 AM UTC
Let's see,
47 yrs old + 50 = 97 yrs old.
Nah I ain't gonna worry.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about some diecast models, like the 1/72 dragon ones? I have heard that there are CD's made out of corn, yeah thats right, corn! but by the time the oil runs out the human population will triplicate, and corn will be just as valuable as oil!

Having built two of the Dragon diecast kits, I can confirm that they are not suitable for younger builders. My 10 yr old daughter started the Panther and it was beyond her abilities. Plus we both did not like the fact that she would have to use super glue to assemble major portions of the kit.

Older Tamiya kits like the Pz II, M41 and such are great for children, but even they are fairly expensive to a child.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:59 AM UTC
I don´t think we have to worry about the kits in a near future. As Sabot says most of us have enough kits in our closets and I also think that some alternative material will be developed.

By the way don´t throw your old finished models.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hhmmm, recycling may not be a bad idea. Ever notice how much waste gets generated by the end of a build?

Maybe we can start an organization to collect and re-use the plastic scraps and leftovers. (But not the spare parts, of course)

Sort of a "Save the Sprue!" campaign.

:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
As time goes by, more and more peope will be buying cars that use alternate fuels. Nuclear power will probably increase so I don't think we'll run out of oil or the ability to make polystyrene. Keith hit the nail on the head though. We have to find away to bring the hobby to the younger gereration. He and I have talked at length about this. I use my contacts within the Boy Scouts to show off my stuff to the kids, and having no kids, I also have tried to interest my nephew. Want more kits....you have to create a demand for them. So get out there and spread the gospel
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe we can start an organization to collect and re-use the plastic scraps and leftovers. (But not the spare parts, of course)

Sort of a "Save the Sprue!" campaign.

the left over sprue from a kit is worth almost nothing. Nobody would be interested in re-grinding this stuff for production.

Its often asked how to build up a base.
I saw a good tip one time that somebody actually uses the sprue to shape the basic ground shape they want. Its easy to cut, get very cool contours and quite strong after cementing. The shape was then covered in some sort of paster bandage system.
So maybe the next time you want to build trenches or a cliff face ... this scrap sprue could be your answer.

I always save the long straight pices anyway. Great handles for items like stowage, that can be cemented to them while painting. Just break them off when finished and your knife will tidy up the unseen part!
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nobody would be interested in re-grinding this stuff for production.

you are3 right about that, but maybe in when there is a real need then someone may be interested. I have been saving all of the sprues and I have quite a heavy box full of them. It woul be a good idea to make a campaing with the use of recycled items, maybe sometime in the next 50 years! :-)
sniperwolf
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:02 PM UTC
Some time we may have soylent model...

Some guy: what is this figure made out of?
Other guy: ITS PEOPLE! PEOPLE!
 _GOTOTOP