_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
From Plastic to Resin!
scubyfan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I have never worked with resin, but it seems many low-production kits are made of it. Having no experience with it, what hints and tips can you give me in working with it? Also, how different is it in its properties from plastic? Painting, gluing, sanding, etc.: are these very much different from that of plastic?

Thanks in advance!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:25 PM UTC
for a short summary; resin kits are better in details than plastic but higher prices. You can paint them in acryls,enamels and oils as plastic kits. Need some extra attention when sanding(using a mask is recommended) and CA glue is good for assembling parts.
IMHO prefer resin figures in reasonable prices to plastic figures.
best regards
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:13 PM UTC
Wear a Mask while sanding. Use a Razor saw for cutting. The olny thing that will bond it is eiter CA (superglue) of Epoxy. The detail is generally better w/ resin than styrene. It fairly easy to work with, once you ger used to it. Be sure to clean and prime it before painting!!
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC
I use resin for figures that are toward the front and more visible because of the detail. I'll still use some plastic figures, maybe with new heads and some extra detailing, for the background. Please remember to use a GOOD mask, not just a cheap dust mask. Sanding or grinding resin is serious bad news, dustwise. I do mine in my paint booth with the fan on and still wear a respirator. Enjoy.

Sealhead
scubyfan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:08 PM UTC
Thanks, guys! Is the dust really that toxic?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:36 PM UTC
The dust is not "toxic" per se... the problem is that the superfine dust created by resin cannot be expelled from your lungs once inhaled. It is so fine that it will clog the cell sacks, and once there - is likely to stay there forever... the more you breathe, the more problem you will have due to buildup. You MUST wear a good mask, or suffer the consequences (as I do, after years of not wearing a mask)....
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, guys! Is the dust really that toxic?

yup..
according the the type of resin used by the manufacturer. most of the resin dust are hazardous to our health. beside using mask (dust mask) , always use wet sanding so that the dust will not be airborne..

my 2 cents
 _GOTOTOP