_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How to paint bombs?
FrozenPea
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:53 PM UTC
I'm having trouble painting the yellow rings towards the front tip of the mk. 82 snake eyes.

My hand isn't steady enough to do it with a brush, and all attempts at masking (with tape) have failed, due to the curviness of the surface.

I even went so far as to dip the tip into the yellow paint, however the paint tended to "creep" up the bomb, creating an uneven edge to the ring.

Does anyone have any tips for this?

Cheers
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:24 PM UTC
I was already typing up my tip of dipping in paint when I slowed down and finished reading what you wrote. I'm not sure how it "creeps" up your bomb unless you tilt the bomb back down (ie lay it down or turn it etc) before the paint it dry. It may not work with a Mk82 - though you can try - but for WWII bombs doing a combination of masking off and dipping. My trials worked out the first time.

Another idea may be to dip and then take a dry brush and barely touch the blobbed paint on the bomb; touching it just enough so the excess paint is "sucked" onto the brush. That way you don't have to worry about the excess paint moving up your bomb.

A third idea may be to lightly thin up you paint and do it as mentioned above multiple times. Of course the more you try it, the greater chance of screwing up!

It should be noted that I've seen more than a few modern bombs without stripes so that may be the way to go as well.

Last tip, if all else fails, ask someone with a steady hand to do it for you.

Best of luck
Jeff
Jeff
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:07 PM UTC
It's been awhile since I've done so, but in the past I have used woodland scenic dry transfer stripes. They are made for model railroading. I obtained mine at a local toy store (Johnny's Toys here in Cincinnati). Each sheet comes with enough stripes, in different widths, to stripe numerous "bombs" in different scales.
You can also get them in different colors, for other uses. You simply place them where you'd like and burnish (rub) them on, using a blunt tool of some sort. I believe I was also able to use decal setting solution on them with no problems.

I'm not sure what it would cost to send you some "stripes," but I'd be happy to look into it if you can't find something similar "down under" and want to give it a try. Just PM me with your address.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:26 PM UTC
Try masking! Use a very fine masking tape then cover the circumference of the unwanted part. Then paint the exposed part with yellow. The result will make a very good circle but to make another one, you'll have to repeat it again.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:07 PM UTC
FrozenPea, now this idea takes more luck then it does skill, but it works for me most of the time, and if it does go a little further then I want then I cover with the base color.
After thinning the paint, and here comes the luck part, is getting just the right amount of paint on your brush, then hold it straight up, then dab your piece from underneath, then the paint spreads by itself.
Just recently I've been doing 2 hummers,and on their transmission pans the first one I had just a hair to much paint and it spread above the line a tad, then the second one, I put just a little less paint, and was just right, it stopped right on the line where it was supposed to.
When done it looked like somebody spent a lot of time to keep in-between the lines, but it only took me a second.
This is the same principal as dipping into the paint, but you control the amount of paint your dipping into so not to go above the line.
I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me in the past. Good Luck

Kerry
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:11 PM UTC
Chuck it in a cordless screwdriver, hold your paintbrush steady and VOILA!!!

Cuhail
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 1,217 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:30 PM UTC
Go to your local hobby store and buy a product called "Maskol" or "Mascol" (i use the one from Humbrol)
Its liquid like the paint, "paint" it on the surfaces u dont want to be yellow, allow it to dry 15 minutes and than paint yellow ring, when that dries totaly, just pull off the maskol (it will look like a foil) and there you go

Maskol is mostly used for masking cockpits but you can use it for this too

FrozenPea
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:03 AM UTC
Thanks to all for the tips, i will have a go at some of them through the week!

_GOTOTOP