_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Removing old enamel paint
daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:58 PM UTC
Does anyone know how to remove old--and I mean REALLY old--enamel bottle paints off a kit? I tried a test with nail polish remover (that contained acetone) but it didn't put a dent in it. Help!
--Daredevil
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:35 PM UTC
If you can round up some Floquil ELO (Easy Lift Off) that's probably going to be your best bet. Just let the offending part soak for a few hours then brush off the paint with on old tooth brush. It make take several attempts, but the ELO really works well for me.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
I've removed 20+ year old enamels with spray-on oven cleaner. The brand I use here in the UK is called "Mr Muscle" made by Johnson's (thr Future people). I just place the item in a plastic box (ice cream/margarine tub or similar), spray on the foam, cover for a few hours then rinse. Just be mindful of the fumes, they can be nasty, and wear rubber gloves if you heed to handle the item you're stripping.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC
I have use two different products: Nail polish remover, but be sure it contains acetone!!, and as UKGeoff states oven cleaner. Some times it takes a toothbrush to get thick paint off.

I just used Oven-Off to remove brass plating and some paint from an old kit. I place the parts in a plastic container (I bought a shoe box-sized plastic box with lid at Walmart), spray the oven cleaner heavily onto the parts, sealed the lid and let it sit for 24 or more hours. I tend took an old toothbrush and running water and cleaned off the residue. The oven cleaner will not harm the plastic. I have not tried it on clear plastic.

Jeff
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 06:35 AM UTC
I've used Testors thinner to remove Pactra enamal paint that was on a couple of the old Tamiya Stug and StuH kits. Just sloshed it on, waited about half an hour and scrubbed it off with a tooth brush. The paint was on the models for at least 25 years..

The thinner actually rtched the plastic a bit, but was cleaned up with a sanding stick.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hey Daredevil,

Go to your local Wal-Mart (or any other place that sells it) and get your self a bottle of Castrol Super Clean, it comes in a purple spray bottle about a quart, or if you need alot of it, you can also buy it by the gallon....but the quart will last you awhile anyway.

This stuff will take off any kind of paint, acrylic, enamel, lacquer, doesn't matter how long its been on there, and it will not harm the plastic.

Just spray it on, and cover with plastic wrap, and let it sit for a day or so or if you want, you can get a rubbermade or tupperware container and immerse the subject in it.....the paint should basically fall off of the kit. You will need like a tooth brush to get into the cracks and crevaces, but other than that it works awesome.

Make sure you wear gloves when handling it....its not really bad or corrosive, but it is slippery when you get it on your hands, and rubber gloves give you a little bit of control if you get the stuff on your gloved hands.

Clean up with some luke warm water and you have a brand new subject to repaint!!!!!

I actually have an old 1/32 Revell F-14 Tomcat that was painted year ago by a friend of mine, and I am going to strip the paint and repaint it for him. Just have to find a set of 1/32 decals for a Tomcat!!!!
daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:03 PM UTC
Thanks to all who replied! I knew I would find the answer on Armorama--my one stop place for all modeling tips--how can ya go wrong with so many combined years of modeling experience?!
I actually have the Castrol Super Clean in the garage--and never thought to use it!
--Daredevil
fiftycaliber
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC
Try a product called Goof-off. You can find it at hardware stores. Apply it with q-tips.
 _GOTOTOP