_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Need help with aircraft, Ships and invasions
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:07 PM UTC
G'day everyone, i need help with a few topics, so i thought i should probably post it here, cover them all in one post hey!
Well, i have this idea for a 1/72 pacific Diorama, now then, can anyone tell me, in any of the pacific island invasions in ww2, such as Tarawa, Saipan, and Iwo Jima, did the U.S. Have aircraft straifing and bombing targets as the troops rushed the beaches? also, if this is the case, what aircraft carriers did these aircraft come from? and and also if they did have the navy flying over while they invaded, in which invasions did this happen, eg. Iwo Jima etc.... well this may be a bit confusing, lol, but im sure you guys can help me out, cheers! and any help is MUCH appreciated
Mortis
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 11:10 PM UTC
In the battle for Guadalcanal, the landing U.S. troops had an "air umbrella" of planes launched from the aircraft carriers USS Lexington and USS Enterprise (I think - probably best to look into it in more detail) The commanding officer of the U.S. fleet was Rear Admiral Frank Fletcher.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:11 PM UTC
Cheers guys thanks.
I have the flu and reading the original post now, i dont think i made much sense stupid germs!
i will re-write the question in another post, cheers
 _GOTOTOP