_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
LaTtEX`s Pinoy Crusader
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC
My PAF F-8H Crusader. Not as good as buck's, and certainly not a good kit (don't EVER buy the kit from Kangnam now that the Academy kit is out) but I just love this plane anyways.

The decals were all made by myself so if anybody needs help regarding decals, feel free to ask
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
I love the beast dude! Used the sprayworks very well! How did you deal with white?

Quoted Text

The decals were all made by myself so if anybody needs help regarding decals, feel free to ask

Scopa? Inket printed or laser? If inkjet, how did you protect the decals?
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the beast dude! Used the sprayworks very well! How did you deal with white?

Scopa? Inket printed or laser? If inkjet, how did you protect the decals?

All of the painting was done freehand, with little or no masking. I sprayed the white first (actually it's not white, but an off-white made with Tamiya Flat White, Deck Tan, and Testor's Light Ghost Gray). Then the grey went on (mix of Testor's Dark Ghost Gray and Neutral Gray). Freehand lang lahat.

Siguro 3 times kong niretouch yung part where the grey and white meet, until I got a good enough line. Sobrang liit lang dapat ng opening nung nozzle, and medyo malapit talaga dun sa plane para semi-solid yung line pero soft demarcation pa rin upclose.

As for the decals, I used Scopa decal paper. Let the ink dry for 20 minutes, even put it in front of a fan, then sprayed it with 2 coats of Tamiya Clear, 5 minutes drytime between coats. Flat yun kapag inispray, so after about another 20 minutes of drying time I brushed on a thin coat of Wipe and Shine. NEVER use the Wipe and Shine directly on the ink because the ink melted when I did that

It works nicely! The decal would come off even if you use cold water, and it adheres easily enough. Just don't overdo the coats so that the decals remain thin and easy to follow around contours. Check out the 2nd pic with the midsection clearly showing "PHIL AIR FORCE". The decal was able to follow the jagged edge of the fuselage (at the word FORCE). Without needing Microset or Microsol.
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:29 AM UTC
Nice work there. I like the decals too.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
Nice tip dude! Perhaps next meet you can demo it to me? :-)
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:54 AM UTC
Ang bangis mo partner. Kahit kelang. Kelan ka ba sasablay! Mwahaha!
riversphynxz
Visit this Community
entire network: 262 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:21 AM UTC
nice!!! another crusader with a touch of pinoy. i also want to know hot to make your own decals. where did you get your templates?
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:25 PM UTC
Well done bro. Kahit hindi ako mahilig sa A/C maganda pa rin tingnan.

I've built close to 35 armor kits, tons of figures of different scales a almost half the number of the 5th fleet but I've only done 2 helicopters and no A/C.

Itinapon ko pa yung helos' dahil palpak pa ako. Isang Huey at Sea King.

I still have 4 boxes of helos and and two Aircraft in stock.

Sa mga A/C Carriers ko maraming aircraft na 1/350 at 1/720 akong binuo. Does that count?
BigMan
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 34 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
nice work LaTtex!! great work on the decal!

you made a bad kit look good!

will i be seeing another F-8 in wraparound camo using the academy kit in the Nationals??

keep it up!

bigman
rysorne
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:41 PM UTC
Nice job Lat, cant wait to see that in ARC, its so hard to built a Pinoy aircraft coz of the unvailability of the decals, hopefully somebody can produce a different PAF decals.
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:46 PM UTC
Very good job, Lattex. Saw this bird in person last meet. Fantastic work. You got all the modifications right.

buck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:51 PM UTC
Good job on the Crusader, Lattex. You got all the modifications right. Very nice!

And nice sig, too!
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys

shonen

The scratchbuilt part of this plane is the pod you see near the top of the vertical stabilizer. I constructed this using thick styrene strips, obtained courtesy of buck. He also taught me how to make the pod, so, thanks a lot to buck! :-)

riversphynxz

Believe it or not, I got my templates from the real thing! I have several photos of plane 310 taken in its static display in the PMA campus. I made the "Jet Intake" warning stripes based on the pic, and just adjusted the size to the proper scale (trial and error printing yun, with lots of papercutting on the side! Lotsa scratchpaper wasted, hehehe). The PAF insignia was based on decal drawings sent over in the IPMS yahoogroups some time ago, I just forgot from whom. So whoever he is, thanks! The markings were made using downloaded USAF stencil fonts. They were all executed using Photoshop.

mondo

They don't exactly count! Ang liliit nun eh! Hehehehe

BigMan

Uh-oh, can you read my mind? Are you my conscience? hehehe.

That's a plan but, probably not for the nationals. Maybe sometime further in the future.
flex_cs
Visit this Community
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:50 AM UTC
hi there Lattex nice work with the crusader buti na lng you mentioned that the Kangnam kit sucks coz i was contemplating of buying it since the Academy kit costs around 480 i think compared sa Kangnam na around 250 lng ata.....so it depends which would i sacrifice the quality or the money hehee :-)

oh regarding the scopa i m having trouble with it since after painting the finished kit with a flat coat the decal still seems to be too thick showing its contours....unlike purchased decals that seem to "blend" in with the kit....did this happen to you??
BigMan
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 34 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BigMan

Uh-oh, can you read my mind? Are you my conscience? hehehe.

That's a plan but, probably not for the nationals. Maybe sometime further in the future.

i aquired my powers when i was growing up with the 'kapres', 'dwendes' and 'mananangals' in iloilo! :-) :-)

all this F-8 posts makes me want to build a PAF Crusader in 1/48! the hasegawa kit costs P2200 locally!! oh well, back to my monogram kit

bigman
buck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 09:48 PM UTC
Ang galing double post ako. Kainis talaga yung internet cafe na pinuntahan ko. Di nagre-refresh. hehehe!

Bigman,

1/48 Hasegawa PAF F-8H? Why not? We're looking forward to that. If not now, when? If not you, who? Hehehe!

LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi there Lattex nice work with the crusader buti na lng you mentioned that the Kangnam kit sucks coz i was contemplating of buying it since the Academy kit costs around 480 i think compared sa Kangnam na around 250 lng ata.....so it depends which would i sacrifice the quality or the money hehee :-)

oh regarding the scopa i m having trouble with it since after painting the finished kit with a flat coat the decal still seems to be too thick showing its contours....unlike purchased decals that seem to "blend" in with the kit....did this happen to you??

It did. In fact the decals seem to be a bit thick now, but I'm leaving them as is.

Have you tried another flat coat? Why not try Krylon Matte?

Maybe you overdid the gloss overcoat on the decal after printing. I wonder...
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:54 AM UTC
That's one impressive PAF Crusader, Saka considering na it's a bad kit. you manage to make it one "nasty" beast..
 _GOTOTOP