_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
modeling clay
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi. Was over to the local craft store today and saw some modeling 'clay' called FIMO. Comes in small packets of many different colors. The directions say to work it till it becomes soft and the to form or sculpture it to the desired design and then bake it in the oven at 265 degrees for 1/2 hour to harden it.

Just wondering if anybody out there has tried this stuff for making bedrolls, bags, etc. on thir models or dioramas. How it works and hold paints and such. I've heard or it being used to make various items in doll house modeling and just was wondering if anybody has tried it for military modeling as well and how satisfied they were with it.

Thanks and take care, sgirty
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
It works wonderfully. Make anything you can think of and sculpt. Be careful not to "overcook" it as it can burn in the oven. Thin parts will burn quicker so you'll need to experiment first.
Go Bucks,
Charles
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:29 AM UTC
I agree. it works great! I usually put it in a little toaster over. It takes less time that way. I have burned pieces on occasion, but just painted over it.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC
I have justed started to use sculpey clay it works on the same principals and am really enjoying and learning what I can acheive with it. Cheers Kevin
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 01:11 PM UTC
Works great. Look for sales or use Sculpey. Be careful of air-drying clays. They usually shrink.

Sealhead
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 04:21 PM UTC
I id the above with milliput to cast some extra cockpit details

I thought id come up with something original drying it faster in the toaster oven.
My wife and daughter thought I was crazy

was pleased with the results.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Tried it once for making bedrolls. Rolled it out flat and when I tried to roll it into a bed roll shape, it cracked. Seemed too much bother, so I shaped it into a stone wall and carved stone work in it. Cooked it in the oven and left it ina scrap box where it still lies. Have used milliput since. Just my experience with it!
 _GOTOTOP