_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
merrillh
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi all...

I am new to the site, and have been so elightened, and scared at the same time.

I went to a local hobby shop where I race RC cars, and they had all of their Tamiya & Italeria Military models at 50% off.

So I bought every Tamiya model with the intent of building and painting these.

Now that I have went to a lot of modeling sites I am scared to death in that I will ruin them.

I am starting with the SturmPanzer IV, and have a few newbie questions.

Do I build them, or paint them first?

I am missing 2 "rubber" inserts in the idler wheels, the ones that allow the wheels to roll, and ideas?

With tiny parts like handholds, or handles, what do you use to hold them in place while they dry?

How do you just put a tiny amount of glue in a spot?

I will ask more questions when I think of them...

Thanks very much,
Hunter
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
First of all, welcome to our group. Lots of helpful people here. As to your questions:

1- The building/painting thing is a matter of personal perference, just like 99 pct. of everything having to do with modeling. Mostly you would build the larger portion, the body with all the handles, etc., and the turret before painting. Paint the road wheels seperate.

2- I am not familiar with the kit your working on, so I can't help you with the missing parts. If the other road wheels have these inserts, you might try going back to the shop and exchanging the kit.

3- With small parts like you describe, I usually use Crazy Glue.

4- I usually use liquid cement, but if you're using tube glue, use a toothpick or the point of a needle or pin to place the glue.
This is just my advice. You will probably get a lot more as people find this thread. Also, search the forums for the subject(s) you have questions about-there's a lot of info there. Above all, don't be bashful. Everybody here asks questions. That's how we learn from each other. As for ruining a kit, that's happened to everybody at one time or another, so just do you best.

Art
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:20 AM UTC
Welcome Hunter.
Lets see, where to start!!!
Glue placement: use a toothpick, small needle, or a bent paper clip to place glue.
Paint before or after building: Its depends, you can do both. Build everything that is going to be the same color. Tanks are easy. just leave off all the tools and things that normally would be removed of the real thing and then paint the camo on.
Missing poly caps: I'm sure some one around here might have some extra poly caps for you.
Grab handles: use superglue to glue them. you wont have to hold the part for long.

Hope this is some help for you. Keep the questions coming. Oh, and dont be so scared. Everyone starts out somewhere and cant be a expert right off the bat. I know I'm not.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hunter,

Welcome aboard!
As far as holding the small parts is concerned I usually use superglue to glue those types of things on the model. Really cuts down on the amount of time you hold them in place.
As far as putting a tiny spot of glue in a tight area you can do one of two things, depending on what type of glue you are using. If you are using a liquid glue, like Testors in the clear glass bottle, use a fine paint brush and brush some on. The brush in the lid is too big for tight spots. If you are using superglue here is what I do. Take a sewing needle a some nippers. Cut the top half of the eye of the needle off. (Where safety glasses) That should leave you with a little tiny fork. Put a small dab of superglue on your bench and dip the tiny forked end of the needle in it and you should be able to put tiny dabs of glue where ever you need them.

Hope this helps.
Shaun

Oh, and don't be afraid to riun a few. I have been at this for about 25 years and just the other night I threw a Hobbycraft T-72 across the basement. Instant battle damage...
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:32 AM UTC
You got a lot of great info and help from some of our very talented members already so I will just welcome you to Armorama and don't worry you are among friends here so enjoy.
merrillh
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 07:29 AM UTC
I'm sure some one around here might have some extra poly caps for you.

Quoted Text

put quote text here

If it was only that easy

I was thinking of glue 2 of the drive wheels static as I do not have the poly caps.

Also... is there a good article on how to do camoflage on a tank? I have one of the cheapo Testors Aersol based airbrushes.

I want to make sure I enjoy this before I invest fully in hobby number 217.

Thanks again,
Hunter
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 07:36 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/25033&page=1
You might find a lot of your answers here under the painting and airbrushing forum
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 05:18 PM UTC
Welcome
Listen to Animal
Listen to everyone
We LOVE to help as much as build.
go to an auto parts store and bring the hub the polycap goes on.
find rubber hosing that fits over that hub and buy 4 inches of it.
If hose has too much of an OUTSIDE dia., chuck it on a sprue and turn it over an emery board, checking often against where it has to go.
WE are here to help.
As am I
Cuhail
 _GOTOTOP