_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Sweet Home Alabama
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 11:00 PM UTC
Armorers of Goodwater, Alabama - Turrel, Texas and Dallas, Texas.

I'm heading out to those three spots sometime this June. I was wondering if anyone of you could tell me the locations of good hobby shops. I'm interested in mostly figures, armor and navy kits.

Most of the shops I located through google are more into R/C's.

I hope you cowboys and cowgirls could help me out.

:-)
Potroast
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 90 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:48 AM UTC
In the Dallas area, I haven't been able to find a good hobby shop to haunt since Phil's in Carrollton, TX (right outside of Dallas) closed up about a year ago. There's M-A-L in old downtown Irving (again right outside Dallas), but it isn't anything spectacular in the way of shopping. KFMagee and a few others here live in the Dallas area and I bet they can recommend some other places, though.

Aside from hobby shops, if you have the time I'd definitely recommend hitting either of the flight museums at Love Field or the the CR Smith Museum out by DFW Airport. Even if you're not into the airplane scene they're great places to visit.
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
I heard from a friend in the Dallas area that most Model Shops that cater to plastic modelers have shut down with the exception of 1 or 2. Any truth to that rumor ??
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 08:33 AM UTC
Hobby Maker in Bedofrd, Texas is still open. Its just west of DFW airport. I use to work there. Its been a while since I got to go back, but when i was working there, it wascomparable to Phils. I always said Phils catered to the Dallas area and Hobby maker catered to the Ft. Worth area. Give them a call and ask for Arron at 817-267-0991.
Potroast
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 90 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
That's good to know about Hobby Maker...I grew up in Bedford but haven't been over that way in a long time. I'll have to make a visit after work this week or this weekend! I'd prefer to spend my money at a local shop if I can.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC
There isn't much to choose from in Goodwater. Very rural area. There may be a shop over in Alexander City, but I'm not sure of it. The "LHS" for me is an hour away in Birmingham. I am sure there are some shops down in Montgomery. Enjoy your travels in Alabama.

Patrick
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:25 PM UTC
By the way, it'll be my first time coming to the US. So I'd appreciate it if you could be a little more specific like street names and such. I really don't know the final itenerary of my trip but those three places I mentioned are definitely on my list.

I'd probably end up the same way when I first visited Cologne, Germany and Venice, Italy. I visited some toy stores which had limited kits on display. Really difficult if you don't know the language. Venice had only two stores which stock kits and I found only one store in Cologne which happened to be 500 meters from my hotel.

Goodwaters' rural huh. Just as I suspected. That's where the factory of our host is located.
Actually I'd preffer visiting Jack Daniels' distillery in Tenessee. My boss wouldn't sponsor that trip though.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 11:10 PM UTC
Mondo,
Here is Hobby Maker's web sight:

Hobby Maker

Phone number and address is here. Just to add, here are the directions. I take it you will be coming in at Dallas/Ft.Worth Internatinal Airport (DFW). If so, you need to go out the south entrence and go west on Highway 183. Its about 10 minutes west of the airport. You exit Bedofrd Road and take a left at the light or just take the u-turn under the highway and stay on the service road. It will be on your right in a shopping center with an Albertson grocery store. Its in a shopping plaza called Cimmeron Plaza. The physical address is 1424 Suit F, Airport Freeway, Bedofrd Texas, 78221

Oh, since you are coming to Dallas, and you mentioned the Jack Danials Distillary, a good place to go is the Brewery next to Bass Pro Outdoor store in Grapevine, Texas. Grapevine is just about 5 minutes north of the airport. There is a huge mall there too called Grapevine Mills Mall. And if your a person that likes to go out on the town, just east of downtown Dallas is a strip called Deep Elum, lots of bars and night clubs.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mondo,
Here is Hobby Maker's web sight:

http://hobbymaker.com]Hobby Maker

Phone number and address is here. Just to add, here are the directions. I take it you will be coming in at Dallas/Ft.Worth Internatinal Airport (DFW). If so, you need to go out the south entrence and go west on Highway 183. Its about 10 minutes west of the airport. You exit Bedofrd Road and take a left at the light or just take the u-turn under the highway and stay on the service road. It will be on your right in a shopping center with an Albertson grocery store. Its in a shopping plaza called Cimmeron Plaza. The physical address is 1424 Suit F, Airport Freeway, Bedofrd Texas, 78221

Oh, since you are coming to Dallas, and you mentioned the Jack Danials Distillary, a good place to go is the Brewery next to Bass Pro Outdoor store in Grapevine, Texas. Grapevine is just about 5 minutes north of the airport. There is a huge mall there too called Grapevine Mills Mall. And if your a person that likes to go out on the town, just east of downtown Dallas is a strip called Deep Elum, lots of bars and night clubs.

Thanx a lot EPI. Same to the rest of you guys. Now about that strip called Deep Elum. How deep is that? Just kidding. I hope none of you get the wrong impression. I work in Saudi Arabia for most of the year. Right smack in the middle of the most recent terrorist act. Wine, women and song is not a legal indulgence here so you miss a LOT! So there's a lot of stress. Gotta unwind. That's why I have lots of time working on my models here. :-) :-)
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 10:12 AM UTC
If you get over to Birmingham while in Alabama, there are a few choices there. Homewood Toys and Hobbies is really good. The Model Box is a good store. There is a Hobby Town USA and two Hobby Lobbies there. Maybe you will be lucky and be here for one of the famous Hobby Lobby half off sales. If Birmingham is a possibility, I can get you better directions to these stores.

Patrick
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume you mean Terrell instead of Turrel. I'd be surprised if any model shops were there. You could see if Squadron Mail Order lets you walk in and order.

That is a damn shame about Phil's.

Paul
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC
Paul,
I forgot about Squadron Mail Order.

Mondo,
If you do decide to venture over to Squadron, if they dont let you buy, maybe you can at least ask them for a tour of the wharehouse.
Oh, dont ask me for directions. I use to go and buy for Hobby Maker. I just knew where it was.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 04:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There may be a shop over in Alexander City, but I'm not sure of it.
Patrick

I lived in Alex City in '81 as a 15 y/o kid
there wasnt many hobby shops then
(they NOW have a walmart)
Actually none, but I hung around a TV Repair shop and learned electronics.

And all the mills got shipped to China so I doubt there is a lot of infrastructure there today.

I hope Im wrong it was a great place to be a teenager.

My recommendation is look in whatever city youre flying into or driving through on your way to GoodWater, Or bring a kit and enjoy the peace here in AL as you build it.

I hope you enjoy Alabama, we do.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 05:46 PM UTC
1115 Crowley Dr Carrollton, TX 75006 which puts them just South of Trinity Mills which is an exit off of Interstate 35 heading toward Denton. Prior to Old Denton. If you are heading East on Trinity Mills then it's a right turn by the Texaco(Shell) station and down to where the road Ts out. (972) 242- 8663 Monday thru Saturday 8:30 to 5:30 Central time.

I've never been there myself but I know the neighborhood.

Paul
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I assume you mean Terrell instead of Turrel. I'd be surprised if any model shops were there. You could see if Squadron Mail Order lets you walk in and order.

That is a damn shame about Phil's.

Paul

Yeah it is "Turrell". Thanks for the correction. Squadrons' got a warehouse up there? Wow!
I've never ordered from them before. Actually I don't buy mail order from the U.S. because the freight charge is almost half the price of my order. So I get it from Europe instead.

Does that Hobby Maker store carry blank decal sheets? I don't see any indication that they do in their website.

About those who died in Saudi recently, I'm planning to have three small crosses tattooed on my left shoulder for my 3 countrymen. One of them happens to be an acquaintance of a friend of mine. Besides, my right shoulders' already got a tattoo.

I'm not so sure how long I'll be staying in Alabama. We're just going in there to visit a factory and inspect our company's orders. A couple of our "suits" including my boss will be there with me.

Thanks again y'all. Maybe one of you will see me there. If you see a short South-East Asian dude with rectangular specs, a ponytail and who seems to be lost, that just might be me.

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:43 PM UTC
Squadron is in Carrollton just north of Dallas. Not in Turrel, where ever that is.

Paul
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:57 PM UTC
Mondo,
Yes, Hobby Maker carries blank decal paper. Its from, damn, I just drew a blank on the name. Anyways, its in 8x10 sheets, sold in pack of 3 or a single sheet. As soon as you hit the states, give them a call on there toll free number and ask for Arron. Mention me (Pete) and ask him to put what ever you need aside for you fro when you do arrive in Dallas.
The web sight is not all that accurate. The store is a mom and pop store and its ghard for them to keep up with the web sight. So its best just to call and see whats in stock or see if they have something in you want. Arron is pretty good about getting in new stuff when it comes out, as long as the boss lets him.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC
If you got time take a trip south 2 1/2 hours to Ft Hood. Two great museums with a ton of armor. Also a lot of armor scattered around post.

SB

http://www.salt6.com/1st_cav.htm

http://www.salt6.com/4id.htm

mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hardly expected much response from y'all. Thanks a lot. I'll be picking up my passport tomorrow at the US embassy. Our trip is on the 17th via London. It seems that we'll spend a day and a night in Connecticut and the same in Salem, Mass. as well.

Mjr. Salt6,

I do hope I could make the trip. But none of my companions would be interested in going there with me. This is a biz trip with one of our bosses so my companions would likely be sucking up. I'll be telling them that I've got a headache just to getaway.

See y'all, Cheers!!!!

Hellowww Jack D. we will meet again.
 _GOTOTOP