_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Italeri M4
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 01:13 PM UTC
Guys,
I have to tell you. I just finished building the M4 (Marine version with the snorkels) from Italeri. If you ever want to have a fun, quick build.. that one is for you. I finished it quickly and it looks great.
Rob
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC
Funny you should say that,I've just done one as a plain M4A3(ETO) and I quite agree with your comments.Its a fun build apart from those tracks,I hate em lol.The other question is can I do one with just the trunks on as a D-Day machine?
Pete
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC
Stormbringer,
Funny you would mention the tracks, but I just learned the other day that if you use an oil wash on the tracks, they might break. I used a lot of thinner to make a wash and it weakened the tracks to the point of breaking. Darn!! And you can absolutely use the trunks for a D-day machine (or better yet, you could scratchbuild a shield and screws and make a DD machine.)
Ciao for now
Rob
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 04:16 PM UTC
I have built 2 USMC Shermies now and plan on at least 1 more. You can use the trunks as the basis for a DDay wader but you will need to scratchbuild the the mounts. Remember the M4 an M4A1s from DDay have different engines from the M4A2 and M4A3 versions in the USMC kit. All the intakes and exhaust setups will be different.

As for tracks, I get AFV rubberband T49 style tracks. Since the T49 was not the most popular of tracks it makes my Shermies a little more "custom" and "unique".
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 04:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys,most helpful.What I should have asked was (shows how much I don't know about Shermans,Doh) could I build the M4A3 kit with wading trunks but minus the wood armour etc as a D-day machine?From your replies I assume that the M4A3 wasn't about on D-day?
Pete
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 04:28 PM UTC
M4A2 were not used by US forces in the ETO. They were sent Lend Lease to allies. I am not sure if the Brits or Canadian used any of their M4A2s as waders on DDay. The M4A2 was used by the US in the PTO because their deisel engines used the same fuel as the Navy so for logistic purposes the diesel was the preference.

At the time of DDay the M4 and M4A1 were the US tank of service. The M4A3 didn't appear until a months or two later.

US did not use M4A4s. British forces did use M4A4 for the few Fireflies that were available.at that time.
 _GOTOTOP