_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Rotary Tool
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 02:37 PM UTC
Guys,

Have you guys seen the rotary tool sold in Ace and some SM stores? It costs less than 1K Pesos...does anyone have any comment about that product?

Everytime I see it, I'm tempted to buy it rather than buying Dremel, Blak n decker and other branded rotary tools....I'm just going to use it for modeling...

shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 02:50 PM UTC
I have 3 rotary drills. The Black and Decker which costs around 4k used for major surgery, the Tamiya rotary drill (around 700 php) for medium to light purposes and another one which I uses for fiber optics.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 02:57 PM UTC
Shonen: The rotary tool I'm refering to comes woth 60-piece attachments as "advertised". I researched the internet and found out that there is a similar product that goes by the brand rotomatic (same look and attachments). At the moment I do not want to spend around 4K for a rotary tool. Can your Tamiya rotary drill also work as a rotary tool...hmm is is the one that you need to assemble first?

The product looks like the one in the URL below....
[url=]http://www.cyberbrands.com/pub/rotomatic.html[url]

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
[quote]Shonen: The rotary tool I'm refering to comes woth 60-piece attachments as "advertised". I researched the internet and found out that there is a similar product that goes by the brand rotomatic (same look and attachments). At the moment I do not want to spend around 4K for a rotary tool. Can your Tamiya rotary drill also work as a rotary tool...hmm is is the one that you need to assemble first?

The product looks like the one in the URL below....
[url=]http://www.cyberbrands.com/pub/rotomatic.html[url]

Hahahaha... yep, you need to assemble it. Just go and buy the needed bits and collets for smaller diameter ones.

BTW, I can't check the link right now. I'm on school and classes might start anytime. I'll check it out later.
cbrain21
Visit this Community
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 141 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,

Have you guys seen the rotary tool sold in Ace and some SM stores? It costs less than 1K Pesos...does anyone have any comment about that product?

Everytime I see it, I'm tempted to buy it rather than buying Dremel, Blak n decker and other branded rotary tools....I'm just going to use it for modeling...

We have the same predicament.... I'm also contemplating of getting this one.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 07:56 PM UTC
Cbrain: The price is tempting di ba? Kaya lang parang nakakatakot kasi baka hindi matibay Pesos. . The brand nga pala is JML is If you are interested and not Roto-matic as posted earlier. JML is a store in the UK .

I'm currently looking in the internet for additional specs, but I just found the site www.jmldirect.com under the DIY section.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:22 PM UTC
I checked it out. Kinda tempting to buy given its price. But it's single speed. You can't control the speed.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:32 PM UTC
What I'm currently concerned about is the quality., baka di tumagal or di matibay...the speed....hmmmm maybe I could work around it. Are there other brands that is cheaper than Dremel or Black&Decker?
riversphynxz
Visit this Community
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 09:49 PM UTC
warthog,
most rotary tools have a fixed rpm and most of them will melt the plastic. if you will use it for drilling hard object like wood, this will be a great tool but i wont recommend it for plastics. i have 3 rotary tools:

a PINVISE tool for more delicate surgery, like opening a panel of a plane or drilling down the gun barrel or the end part of a rocket.

the TAMIYA drill gun, it is good because you can change the motor inside of like those 4wheel drive cars to increase or decrease the rpm (torque, dash, plasma, etc...). these motor have different rpms, i just cant remember what are those. the only backlog of it is you have to disassemble the entire gun which is time consuming.

the ROTARY tool with a abrassive disk is good for cutting needles (cannon barrels, oleo struts and hydrolic push rods). the only down fall of it is it's speed, you dont have any control of it. as i said before, its not good for plastic because it will melt it.
i hope this will help you.
CSMeekai
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 160 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 10:39 PM UTC
there's this other product from handyman... a mini buffer but you can use a drillbit in place of the little buffer as described by the person who mentioned it and it's cheaper than the ace thingy... i haven't checked it out for myself just yet... and about that product you mentioned, it's veeeeeeery tempting.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC
I just saw the product. I must say it's too fast. It'll melt the plastic. Yung Black and Decker ko na variable speed 8000-32000 RPM. Kahit nasa 8000 ka lang, you can smell the stink of molten plastic. Go for the Tamiya rotary tool. Very powerful and does not melt plastic. Siguro sa next meet dalhin ko yung Router Tools ko. See yah!
cbrain21
Visit this Community
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 141 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

warthog,
most rotary tools have a fixed rpm and most of them will melt the plastic. if you will use it for drilling hard object like wood, this will be a great tool but i wont recommend it for plastics. i have 3 rotary tools:

a PINVISE tool for more delicate surgery, like opening a panel of a plane or drilling down the gun barrel or the end part of a rocket.

the TAMIYA drill gun, it is good because you can change the motor inside of like those 4wheel drive cars to increase or decrease the rpm (torque, dash, plasma, etc...). these motor have different rpms, i just cant remember what are those. the only backlog of it is you have to disassemble the entire gun which is time consuming.

the ROTARY tool with a abrassive disk is good for cutting needles (cannon barrels, oleo struts and hydrolic push rods). the only down fall of it is it's speed, you dont have any control of it. as i said before, its not good for plastic because it will melt it.
i hope this will help you.

Hmn... does it come with a DC socket for the power cord? Maybe if I use a universal adapter with it I could lower the voltage through the adapter thus making the motor run at a much slower speed. Just a thought....
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 11:10 PM UTC

The red one is the Black and Decker Rotary tool. Usually pang diorama purposes yan.
Yung parang may trigger is the Tamiya router. Sad to say, bibili ka pa ng seperate bit. (Isa lang kasama nyan)
The small white one is for fiber optics. I use it for boring holes in the gun barrel of my Sherman.
The metal one is the manual type of rotary tool. Madalas kong ginagamit to.
riversphynxz
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmn... does it come with a DC socket for the power cord? Maybe if I use a universal adapter with it I could lower the voltage through the adapter thus making the motor run at a much slower speed. Just a thought....

the JMN rotary tool is cordless. it comes with a power adoptor just for recharging the batteries. so, lowering down the power source wont work.
CSMeekai
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC
i think the one from ace also has that same set up... lots of accessory choices, but it still uses DC cells. no way to reduce the speed unless you'd use a separate step-down circuit coz the only connection it has is for a charger... you can float it, but i don't believe it will be able to vary the power supply.

warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
Guys,

I actually have a mini drill (commonly used for PCBs) w/c I use for drilling holes in plastic and wood. I got it last year in Landmark for 500+P -- its battery operated (4 AA batteries) and it comes with 2 stone sanding tools and one routing bit aside from the drill bit and an additional adaptor probable for other sized bits. It actually works fine for me, kaya lang when I saw the JML Rotary tool para kasing mas marami sana akong magagawa (for scratchbuilding and probably for some minor model modifications).

I guess from the replies, nobody has an experience yet with the JML Rotary tool commonly sold in SM...hmmm...who wants to be a guinea pig?X8-)

CSMeekai: If you frequent SM Southmall you'll see it in ACE sold by those pesky salesperson with Karaoke....

River: I think JML is a UK based home shopping TV channel, on Sky Digital Channel 664. I thought it was like those Trocadero shops in UK that you can find anywhere you look.....got lost near Trafalgar square because I used that Trocadero shop as reference not knowing that they exist in every corner of London.....
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC
CS: Hmmm...you can probably put a potentiometer or rheostat after the battery cell before going to the motor to control the amount of voltage, just an idea that would cost you 1K Pesos....
CSMeekai
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC
even in festival... it is being demo-ed by this pesky "barker" with a wireless mic strapped on his head and yep, he has a karaoke beside him.

a potentiometer is effective in varying the supply... i don't know how much it may cost you for that circuit even if you would just mount it on a breadboard.... but then, better get something made and designed to suit its purpose. hehehe...

this kind of talk makes me miss my unfinished electonic kits back in college... some of my modelling tools now are also the tools that i used to use for those back then. hehehe.

riversphynxz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

River: I think JML is a UK based home shopping TV channel, on Sky Digital Channel 664. I thought it was like those Trocadero shops in UK that you can find anywhere you look.....got lost near Trafalgar square because I used that Trocadero shop as reference not knowing that they exist in every corner of London.....

:-) :-) :-) at least you have memorable experience in london. i have that tool, i dont use it because of the speed and plastic ratio. i only want the bits it comes with. one day, decided to use it but it wont run, i charged it the whole day but still wont run. seems like the batteries gone dead.????
riversphynxz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
still trust my nimble pinvise and its minidrill bits.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 06:10 PM UTC
Mine is a Black and Decker RTX 1. I also have a pinvise for more delicate purposes.

The problem is, when you use its cutting disc, it melts the plastic even at 8,000 rpm as what Shonen said.

Is there any attachment for the RTX, perhaps a thinner circular saw, so the plastic won't melt?

Angela
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine is a Black and Decker RTX 1. I also have a pinvise for more delicate purposes.

The problem is, when you use its cutting disc, it melts the plastic even at 8,000 rpm as what Shonen said.

Is there any attachment for the RTX, perhaps a thinner circular saw, so the plastic won't melt?

Angela

There's no way to prevent the plastic from melting. 8000 RPM produces too much friction that will burn the plastic. You only need to reduce the speed to prevent it from melting.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:39 PM UTC
Darn.

I've wanted to buy a cordless sander worth P 1,000 in Ace Hardware here in SM Cebu. Problem is, I'm not sure about its quality. It's shown in those TV-shopping thingys.

Guess I'll have to resort back to a razor saw for cutting those parts. Damn.

Angela
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 06:17 PM UTC
I have that tool your saying Warthog. And I'm happy with it.

Yes, it's single speed, but if you're careful with its use, you won't have a problem about melting plastic. I normally use it for heavy sanding, cleaning (using the brush), and drilling. It doesn't have a circular saw though which is what I'm looking for. The motor also stops when you apply too much pressure on the surface. But, considering I buy my tools with a secondary purpose in mind (i.e., everyday, non-model related purposes), this is a good tool to have around.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 06:40 PM UTC
GIB, Thank for the input re: JML. At the moment I'm not sure if I'll get one. Low on budget...he he he
 _GOTOTOP