M3Lee and M35A2
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 06:52 AM UTC
Newbie posting here!!

Please don't hurl expletives and invectives quite yet.

I just finished an M3Lee with a desert sand color. I'm trying to figure out how to weather it. I don't think there was much mud, so I'm at a loss.

Also, I'm working on a M35A2 2 1/2 ton truck for a Vietnam vet. First, my original base colors seem to be off. I tried dark green and OD green but they seem...well..too dark. How would I weather this one? It's the first model I've built for someone else.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 07:03 AM UTC
You won't find those types of responses here. Welcome to the site, there are many more knowledgeable painters who can give you expert pointers on painting. I've spent too much time on military vehicles to want to try to match and exact shade. I just go for good enough and "looks right".

The USMC used a greener olive than the US Army. I believe there are exact colors marketed by Model Masters as USMC green.

The sand colored Lee would best be given a wash (real diluted paint) of some shade of brown or tan. After this, dry brush the surfaces with a lighter shade of sand (or drop some white into your base sand color).

I wish you luck.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 08:23 AM UTC
I agree with Sabot. The M3 should be limted to a pale 'dusty sand' colour dry brush over a very light wash. The sand would scar the base paint and wear it to leave bare metal scrapes on the edges and where the crew move around, but wouldn't stick like mud would.
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the help, gentlemen.

I'm spending much more time on the truck than any tank I've put together thus far because I'm doing it for someone else. Plus, my girlfriend's uncle sat and told me about his time in Vietnam as a Marine radio operator. He was a part of a team that had a commo van. He also gave me some advice about mortar fire. I'm glad that he can talk about it because of the PTSD symptoms he has and I always respectfully listen.

This one little model is my way of saying thanks and of honoring his committment.

BTW...we call him "Uncle Benny" although I sometimes call him "ZZtop" because of the beard. He still calls me "Damnit Mike"

_GOTOTOP