History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Try taking a class
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 01:04 AM UTC

Here's an idea for all of us interested in military (or other) history. Why not consider auditing a class at a local college or university?

OK, I've been teaching college courses for the last three years (not history) and love school. So when I saw a WW2 course being offered at another local college, I decided to audit it.

I had two reasons. One, I love history , especially WW2 history and never had the opportunity to take this while a student. I did take lots of European history and several classes about Germany in the 20th century. But never one devoted entierly to the politics and battles of the war.

The second reason is that I heard the gentleman teaching this is very respected and really loves this subject. I always like to see someone else's style of teaching and how they handle such a huge topic in a relatively short period of time.

The course has been great! Very lively discussions.

For those of you unfamiliar with auditing a course, it simply means to sit in on it. No need to take tests, etc. So, there's no pressure on you.

But, you won't receive any credits for it. Now, depending on the school, costs for auditing vary. Usually less than half the price if you were to receive credits. Sometimes, depending on school policy and size of the class, you can attend for free. Just show up.

Of course most of us have day jobs, but if you check the Summer schedules of many schools they offer courses at night. Sometimes two nights a week, etc. This one is four hours twice a week.

You will find a mix of people in these. College students, adult learners, even kids still in high school.

I know lots of people think they are experts already on this subject but if you get a good teacher, I think you will be amazed at how much you can learn and how you can put things into new perspectives.

Try to find the school with the best reputatuion or history department in your area. I think you'll spend an enjoyable and educational few weeks! :-)

Steve
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 08:02 AM UTC
A great suggustion sniper, just wish their was a school nearby giving a course in WW II history.
Believe me, I would absolutely love to jump into something like that! I'd even take on some Shermanaholics just to participate.

Tread.

Only one flaw with that scenario though.....the rest of the class would throw me out for 'hogging' all the class's time!
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hey Steve,

Great idea! :-)

I audited a couple of course (wine) when I was in college. Had plenty of time as I was making new forms of carbon and spent an extra year as an undergraduate researcher.

But, now with a manager job for a majore beverage company (Drink responsibly), I (for one) have very limited time. But, if I did, I would love to sit in on a class or two, even with a liberal instructor.

Dave
"...Hey, I cam here for an arguement...." #:-)
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A great suggustion sniper, just wish their was a school nearby giving a course in WW II history.
Believe me, I would absolutely love to jump into something like that! I'd even take on some Shermanaholics just to participate.

Tread.

Only one flaw with that scenario though.....the rest of the class would throw me out for 'hogging' all the class's time!

Tread, maybe there's some online course you could look into. If not a WW2 course then a German history or Russian history course might fit the bill.

I hear you about hogging class time! Because I'm auditing, I feel a bit guilty about so many questions. And, I have to admit, being a bit older and already familiar with the subject, my questions may not be what's on the exams. But, anything that is asked has gotten amazingly knowledgeable answers. Stuff like "what was going on in Peru in 1938" gets a detailed analysis!

Quoted Text

But, now with a manager job for a majore beverage company (Drink responsibly), I (for one) have very limited time. But, if I did, I would love to sit in on a class or two, even with a liberal instructor.

Dave, if you happen to work for the Jim Beam folks, why not send me a few "sample" bottles. Better yet, how about some of that Bookers bourbon!

You're right about the liberal instructor comment. I really lucked out on this class and prof. This is a very fair, balanced and ACCURATE account of the scope, twists and turns of the war. I want to hear all sides.

It would be interesting to see how someone with a point of view that is very to the left might cover the conflict. Might be infuriating too...

I have to admit, I wanted to take this because I'm as interested in the politics and decisions as I am about the range of a B-17. History channel is great for stuff like that, but it's rare you get a show about the League of Nations that doesn't put you to sleep!

One thing that is so overlooked when it comes to the war is the participation of the Soviets and how a fear of communist expansion played a role in the conflict.

I think many people tend to see things in such simplistic and idealistic ways. That the reason the US went to war with Germany was to rid the world of fascist ideas and free the oppressed. Well, that's true but only to a point. There was lots of other stuff going on too, and it's hard to get that in popular history books or from "Saving Private Ryan."

Steve
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:31 PM UTC
I'm a history major in university so I get to take all these courses, he he . I haven't seen one just on WWII yet, though I know there is a professor that taught it a couple years ago.

Nic
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:31 PM UTC
I remember taking a Vietnam War history course in college. This was around 1985. A regular 3 credit course was part of my history requirements and this course was offered for the first time. It was based on the 12 part PBS series and included the AIMS rebuttal narrated by Charlton Heston. Good course that taught us a lot about the war in SEA.

As part of most officer military courses there are also various "terrain walks" over former battlefields. Gettysburg is a popular one for most of the posts surrounding the area. At Ft. Knox we studied the Battle of Perryville, aka the battle for Kentucky. While in Germany we went to various battlefields and did terrain walks using maps of the day. Interestinig stuff.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hmmmm, history course's on the Vietnam War huh? :::::nodding head::::::: Took 'terrain walks' of Gettysburg too huh? :::::::nodding head again::::::::::::...........sound's very interesting Rob.
Did I ever tell you I used to fly Heli-tours of Gettysburg battlefield? This was back in the early '80's. Used to have to deliver a 15 minute memorized tour speech to each of the passenger's, ......everytime. Interestingly enough, I had to take a 'terrain walk' of the grounds so that I could give a better tour, and be able to perform proper ground recognition. Those were good days.

Tread.

BTW, do you know they have talking tombstones at Gettysburg?
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 63 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 12:13 AM UTC
Auditing a course IS a great idea. But here is a better one for those of you who love the military and history: the CIA. I was looking at the website for a military analyst. It require that a military analyst have a masters in military history. This could be something to think about for those of you still in school, or who want a occupation change.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 08:45 AM UTC
Back in 1983 I took a class in high school called World War Two Real popular class The teacher was in the Army,stationed over in the Pacific during the war He says the closest he came to action was when some Zero airplanes straffed a unit 3 miles away I learned a lot during that class We also saw a lot of films,including A Bridge To Far,the edited T.V. version of course
Chad #:-)
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 11:08 PM UTC
People who were there are always the best to learn from. They should also be honored for all they have done in the service of our country.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC
I had the fortune (misfortune?) of graduating with a BA in History. Some courses I took were WW2, the Great War, US Military History in the 19th Century, British history, History of New Jersey and the Study of History (taught about historical research). So far, I'm still not flipping burgers...
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had the fortune (misfortune?) of graduating with a BA in History. Some courses I took were WW2, the Great War, US Military History in the 19th Century, British history, History of New Jersey and the Study of History (taught about historical research). So far, I'm still not flipping burgers...

What can you do with history major? For that is what I am and I need to know what are my options besides teaching. I can't switch majors because I only have a year left.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 12:08 PM UTC
I think a lot of history majors go on to law. At least in Canada, anyway. I'm a history major too and am not quite sure what I want to do with it, but unlike you, I've got three years left to think about it.

Nic
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hey Sniper.....

Quoted Text

Dave, if you happen to work for the Jim Beam folks, why not send me a few "sample" bottles. Better yet, how about some of that Bookers bourbon!

Sorry, you have to hit my profile to get the right "Adult Beverage Company".

Mine has a home base in, Saint Louis, MO!

Dave
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 09:08 AM UTC
[quoteWhat can you do with history major? For that is what I am and I need to know what are my options besides teaching. I can't switch majors because I only have a year left. [/quote]
What I intended to do was become a career Army officer. I did achieve the goal of obtaining a commission and serving as an officer, but did my time in the Guard. The experience helped me obtain a position as a training instructor at my company. I have since become a training designer.