History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
India/Pakistan: Nukes prevent war?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC

Hi,

There was a great thread going when India and Pakistan seemed to be haeding towards a conflict that could include the use of nulear weapons.

Now that tensions seem to be cooling a bit, I'm wondering if anyone has opinions about nukes being part (or all) of the reason why war was avoided.

I'm taking no sides here, although it seems that diplomats sure tried to use the nuke scenario to bring people to their senses.

Any opinions? Any experts on this part of the world?

Steve
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:48 AM UTC
Well Sniper:
I'm No Expert: But I would have to say that you are most likely pretty dead on in your analysis
I would think that ALOT of the local countries bioth near and far away got REAL concerned about the level of tention in the region, And to what extent it could eventually lead to. In My humble opinion I still do not think that we have heard the last fronm that region. Nor do I believe that the threat has completely passed. I just think that enough pressure was exerted
that a total disaster was diverted (THIS TIME) Next Time I dont think that we as a world may not be so lucky. It still bears watching.

DAGGER-1 "Peace Thru Superior FirePower"
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC

Hey, you guys must have something to say about this!

I think its an example of Mutually Assured Destruction in action.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, you guys must have something to say about this!

I think its an example of Mutually Assured Destruction in action.

I'm thinking along your lines Sniper. I don't buy that any amount of regional or international pressure keeping these two apart equalled the fear of MAD. That's what kept the US and the Soviets from each others throats. You can get up on a podium and bang your fists all you want. You can print rhetoric for anyone to read. But, when it came down to it there was nothing but space and opportunity between the US and USSR - MAD kept a ceiling on the level each was willing to go in pursuit of hostilities.

I think India and Pakistan have such a MAD induced ceiling too.

Gunnie