_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling History
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hello fellow modelers

A friend of mine here in my country is working in a essay for college and needs informaton about the history of modeling. Is there any kind of information about this topic available in the web? Appreciate your help

Thanks.

Danmo
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
I once saw someone posting pictures of German soldiers making models during wwll but I cannot find them
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
danmo-
http://www.panzerdiesel.com/data/e/29b.html?PHPSESSID=31c83022f03cd06f965a77fcc6668ddd
Try this site, sorry I don't yet now how to make it an active link. It's the site that DRAGONSLAIN mentioned, mostly focuses on WW2 Germany, but it'll get you started. HTH
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi danmo

A month or two ago Fine Scale Modeler had an article on a program here in the US during the second World War that had high school kids building wooden aircraft kits for the military. This was to help train pilots and others in aircraft reconition. I don't know if you can get back issues. If not let me know and I send you a copy of the article.

Wolfsix
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 05:23 AM UTC
Military modelling had a 2 part history of historex recently. As the originators of "kit form" models that might be an interesting topic to include. Sorry I cant scan the articles for you.
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 66 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:02 PM UTC
I have recently finished my final thesis on the topic of scale models in architectural design.
Is he workíng on military model building or would he have a need for my type of information as well? I wrote a chapter on the history of architectural models.
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:30 PM UTC
Well I guess military modelling began when that Chinese emperior bulit a life sized army out of clay.

I have read an article on this somewhere. I'll have a look in my book stash later when I get chance................
 _GOTOTOP